1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Selling two books at once?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Elgaisma, Aug 20, 2010.

I have one book that once its had its final polish, is ready to start trying to sell. I'm performing a slight rewrite to bring out one of my characters but that shouldn't take long. Whilst hopeful I am not unrealistic enough to assume it will get pubished in my first round of sending it out. I am going to have it ready by end of the month.

My second book should be halfway through its first draft by Monday, and hopefully completed by the end August/Beginning of September. So by October it should be more or less ready to be sent out.

I also have the story outline developing for a third one that my goal is to have ready by the end of 2010 no later than next February.

They are all linked do I send them out seperatly or together?

2. Motley

Motley Active Member

From what I've read, you should definitely send them out as two separate products. I don't think there is anything wrong with sending both manuscripts to the same agents or publishers, as long as they are good fits.

I'm sorry. I missed the last part where you said they were all linked. Is this a series?

In that case, just shop the first one and mention that it is the first part of a series, but can stand alone as well. Hopefully it can stand alone as well. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Separately, but it doesn't hurt to mention in your query letter that you have another manuscript near completion (but don't mention series!). A publisher prefers to sign an author who is not a one-book wonder, but a series from an unknown author is a risk for the publisher; if the books do not stand alone, one can drag down the other. The publisher would prefer to consider at least the first couple novels in isolation.

1 person likes this.
  4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

:) Thanks all 3 stand alone however at least the first two will be much better read together purely because the first one is told from the perspective of a main character in the second book. Third one I am not sure about yet. They are sort of a series, they have some of the same characters in them.

It started life as a story that has about 600,000 words lol I am now telling different parts of the story from several perspectives, allowing each feel like a different story.

Thanks Cogito

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto what cog said...