1. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Should moderators get paid?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by NaCl, Oct 28, 2008.

I knew that title would get your attention - LOL

I recently spent a little time "reviewing" the moderator activities on this website. Those folks invest a lot of time for our benefit in maintaining the quality of this experience. How much is their support worth? Should they be paid? If so, where will the money come from?

2. Emerald

Emerald New Member

You underestimate how much people enjoy having a second job which is time-consuming, difficult and ultimately thankless... No pay is necessary. It's all about the fun!

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you're not a masochist, no pay will suffice.
    If you are a masochist, no pay is necessary. ;)

4. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Mod's get to play god over their forum empire; isn't that thanks enough? It's up to the admin, but most mods go into it knowing that their simply volunteers; since most forums like this barely get enough money to pay for it's cost to run.

5. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

I think so. I think that the moderators here ,as they are so few, put in a lot of time and effort. This money could come from the advertising on the site, or the donations from the supporter memberships.
    To all mods-
    Thanks. You do an amazing job.

6. Cogito

Now that WOULD be something! :D

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'd like to second what Raven said. I've not been here as long as Raven, and am the newest of the mod team, but as has been said (by Raven I think...) I'm here so much I should be paying rent. So I'm just happy to be able to give something back.

But that said:

*cracks knuckles*

Let's get started! :D

8. Raven

Raven Banned

Thats payment enough.

We all volunteered. I've proudly been a Moderator here since the site opened and I've never regretted it. Both Cogito and Banzai and ILTBY have donated great amounts of time and patience. But unlike most forums there’s something different about this place that keeps us all here. I've certainly seen a great many changes in my time and I've had the privilege of watching this forum grow from 5 members to 6,907 That’s over three years. not bad aye.

However if you would like Feel free to donate your cash to us. We shall not say no. :p

Seriously though its a great forum and Daniel is a damned fine Admin he trusts in all of us to keep his forum running smoothly So its win, win for us.

The payment of your gratitude is payment enough I think. ;)

9. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I am still fairly new around here, but I immediately noticed how dedicated and quick the mods are. Threads are monitored. Rules are respected. This place runs very well. I know it due to the hard work of the mods. I appreciate you guys. I have tried several different writing forums. This is the tightest ship. Thanks guys.

10. Cogito

Thank you all for your good words.

I honestly wouldn't take on the task for any other community.

(Ask Raven how many times I turned down the role)

11. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

They're very good.

Having said that, there are only about four of them, with ILTBY literally being invisible for what feels like an eternity, even though she's around somewhere ...

I still question why Daniel hasn't deleted a few of the mods that just don't visit the site at all. And I haven't even seen Daniel in months. But otherwise, the team is doing great.

12. NaCl

You folks do a wonderful service for your fellow writers. While there may not be any economic reward at this time, I am certain there is a pool of writers' karma out there somewhere in the ether and it will some day shower you with good "luck".

In the meantime, Cog, please keep cutting and pasting all those blurbs of repetitive, yet perfectly accurate, advice!

Thank you folks.

13. NaCl

I communicated with Daniel last week on another matter and he said he has been extremely busy lately, unable to spend as much time as he would like managing the site...another reason why I appreciate the mods.

14. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Yeah, you guys are awesome.

15. Banzai

She is. More often than you'd think. She's still very much present, just taking more of a background role at the moment.

16. Raven

Raven Banned

Daniels very busy with RL and his education.

As for the Inactive Mods I cannot speak for Whispwillow or Sapphire but Kit has lost her internet connection and is in the middle of her studies. She's been a great Mod and has always pulled up her sleeves when active. But we have to respect her she is young and has a great deal of studying. Plus with no internet it makes Modding harder for her. But from time to time she does manage to get ineternet access and always logs on to the forum to check things over.

ILTBY is a great Mod and has offered some damn fine reviews and critique but again RL has take a great bout of her time.

It happens to us all even I have taken time out before today.

We all love this forum and love modding the boards and keeping the peace. 99% of the members here are great and a pleausre to be here. After all its you guys that keep the forum alive.

Well thats true I can vouch for that When I took a leave of abscence from the forum Daniel ask Cogito a few times to become Mod and Cog tuned down the job. Because he prefares to be a reviewer. When I returned and the old team had gone I personally asked Cogito to become a member of the team. And its a decission I have never regretted. Later I asked ILTBY and was happy she accepted Daniel asked me about Kit And again she'd made a great contribution to the team. Finally we needed another who was daily active and I asked Daniel to consider banzai. He accepted and here we all are.

Its true I'm now the longest serving Mod and the Senior of the group but this team work as a team something rarely seen on Forums and beleive me I've modded and Admined a few. I like this place because these guys work hard and in a team. We talk and communicate really well with each other and I don't think a better team could be made.

17. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

What does RL stand for?

Edit: Real Life, I figured it out.

18. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

the mods do a great job here and i think they deserve all the thanks they get, even more.

19. Cogito

Yes, I've heard rumors about this Real Life thing...

20. Banzai

Disturbing rumours indeed...

21. lessa

lessa New Member

If it were feasible and a perfect world
    I would pay the mods.
    They do a terrific job and deserve it.
    BUT
    RL just doesn't work like that.
    The site (Daniel) just couldn't afford to
    pay the bills and the mods at the same time.
    So keep up the terrific job and know that
    you are appreciated. Just not in a monetary way.

One comment.
    let's keep it friendly and follow the rules
    so we can cut down on the work monitors have to do.
    let their time here be for fun and learning.

22. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

It would be a nice gesture to pay the mods, but unfortunatly unrealistic. It would require a lot more members joining the site, and then to make things fair all the origional moderators would probably have to actually apply for the job again, sending in CV and stuff like that, although with anyone else who would like the job, as when money becomes involved, it becomes messy.

To be honest with you, knowing the Mods we do have, I think letting them know they are appreciated is enough .... as, and I know this sounds corny as, but there actually is nothing sweeter than knowing that you make a difference to the place, as I know all the Mods do.

:)

23. Raven

Raven Banned

We wouldn't have to re-apply for the job. Those I asked for had more than earned in merrit and have proved their wait in gold.

The thing is we have never thought about money because its not why we became Mods.

However if you'd All like I can set up a Pay Pal for you all to donate large sums of cash and I would fairly divide the dosh between the active group.

We also accept Visa, American Express, Visa Electron, Maestro, Mastercard, Switch, and Solo. we will even accept Postal cheques and Cheques. Please don't post date your cheques. Thank you kindly. ;)

[​IMG]

24. Cogito

Can you imagine what would happen if the Moderator position WERE paid? What types of people would be clamoring to be elevated to Mod status?

25. Kylie

Kylie New Member

There's a big difference in the amount of genuine effort and time the paid moderator would put in. Imagine the difference...
    Anyway, I think the mods have been doing a great job. I'm glad they're doing it cause they want to and not cause it's a job. They all show geniune effort and they obviously are all trying to help. Thank you all! :)