1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Should my Mom take this job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MatrixGravity, Aug 11, 2011.

My mom just got a job offer about working as a type of home counselor, and the job requires her to travel to area's that are risky and I don't know if its a good idea. It pays 17$ but I think its ridiculous.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

People in those areas may really need the help, and it is good we have people in society willing to go into them. It wouldn't hurt to take a self-defense course if she never has. It also makes sense to go with another person, if that's an option, instead of going it alone.

A handgun for personal protection wouldn't hurt, imo, though some may disagree. I doubt you can get a permit to carry concealed in New York with any ease, but that's not necessary. Again, she should know how to use it well, take classes etc.

But $17 is a good wage for an hourly job, and if she's going into people's home to help them then she's also doing good in the world. Between her concern for providing for family and her willingness to help others, I wouldn't give her too much of a guilt trip if she takes it.

3. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Yeah its just I don't want her going out there and getting mugged. Anything can happen here in NYC. Especially in certain area's. I heard Police don't even venture into some area's. I don't know if its worth it.

4. Steerpike

Well if the areas are that bad, then she certainly should take personal safety into account. What does her employer say? Will they be sending her there alone? Have previous employees had issues making calls in those areas? Those are things to find out, but the only person who can really make the decision is your mom. No one on these forums has enough information with the situation and your mom's circumstances to offer more than generic advice.

5. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I would strongly recommend not bringing a gun. The most obvious reason is she's attacked and the attacker grabs the gun, she now faces an armed attacker. Plus, and I know this can come out very wrong, so bear with me here. But if she is carries pepper spray, she can spray the attacker and run away. Even if she misses or don't have the chance to use it, the worst she face is rape. (and yes, I know that's not exactly a good thing.) But if she draws a gun, she could up the ante and risk getting killed instead. If she's forced to fire and kills the attacker, she could be seemed as a murderer and go to prison. If she's mugged or raped, she will at least get to go home. That's much better than going to the morgue.

Even so, I would be very careful about this. If she takes the job, she should be sure they always travel at least two and two, and always drive up to the house they work in. And preferably bring a male co-worker. I don't want to be sexist, but bringing a guy with her can lower the risk.

That said, I live in a small town where I can fall asleep all night in the town square without anyone caring, so I don't know anything about places like the ones you describe. :redface:

6. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

I know you mean no offense, but it's impossible to know what any assailant will do. Many times they don't stop at rape or robbery. A group of men could fatally injury anyone, and what if they have a gun in the first place? A friend of mine was in Spain with a whole group of friends, men included, and she still got dragged into an alley and sexually assaulted. I do agree with you on having an accompanying colleague, but if she's going in a position like that, she should take as many precautions as possible.

EDIT: That kind of assault or mugging takes place at close-contact. In all actuality, pepper spray would be effective, like you said, mace, whatever would work. A gun could be risky at close range, unless she's had prior training.

7. WriterDude

I see your point. What I meant is bringing a gun can often do more harm than good. If they have guns too, should she try to shoot back? That only works in the movies. The best thing to do is running away if she can, or not get into that position in the first place if she can avoid it.

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. Is she ok?

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

What does the employer say about security measures? Surely if the areas she will be going to are that bad, they will have some kind of plan or procedure in place (if for no other reason than to stave off lawsuits).

9. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Yes she is alright, it was a year ago, and several of the men in the group went to fight off the attackers, and they got roughed up quite a bit. I edited my post but wasn't sure if it was before or after your post. In any event, I agree with you for the majority, was only trying to prove some attackers are real scumbags and could be deadly on any level. :(

10. WriterDude

I'm glad she's ok. And yes, some attackers are real scumbags. The only way to deal with them is to avoid them as best as possible.

11. Steerpike

This is what I meant about taking classes and knowing how to use it. When people are disarmed or something else bad comes about as a result of their own weapon that they carry for protection, it is generally due to lack of experience and training. Anyone who carries a gun for protection should be thoroughly trained in its use, as well as in how to respond in various situations.