1. Amelyn

Amelyn Member

Story line HELP?!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Amelyn, Jun 26, 2012.

Hey all, so I have been developing a story over the last year or so. I have been developing the characters and everything about them but my problem is that I cant for the life of me come up with a fantasy storyline that hasn't already been done in some way shape or form. I really want to start writing my story but with no storyline or plot for my characters to follow the story would quickly die or become boring.

So how do i come up with a believable and funtioning storyline that people arent going to say oh thats been done or not again??!!

2. josie101

josie101 New Member

I think the same way as you do and try to avoid writing repeated story plots. I dont know what you have for your story so far, but i would study your characters and try putting them in different situations, iwould say an original plot would have unique characters. Very common things in fantasy is like forbidden romance ugh, that's in everything, come up with something that doesn't exist in present fantasy fiction, i know it's hard. I hope this helped in some way! :)

3. nomadpenguin

nomadpenguin Member

You can take a generic storyline, and put a twist in it, and it will be completely unique. I always find it fascinating when writers inject science into fantasy. It also helps if your characters are non-archetypal.

4. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The Hero's Journey has been around as long as stories have been told. It is a universal theme seen in every type of fiction. We all know the story, but it is the world and how you tell it that really matters. Start with the basics. You have been working with these characters for a year. Do they have a hobby, a place they like to go...Any common thread? Any shadow of a plot or inspiration, a simple aspiration? If not, what have these characters been doing for the last year. Are there threads in the back stories, interactions that have lead to sparks or conflicts between the characters? Play with conversations and back story, put your characters through their paces. Give them a test of character.

- Darkkin

5. killbill

killbill Member

I will once again say what i always say when i see such threads: Find the deepest desires of your characters and built your story around it. Unless you are deliberately ripping it off from other's stories you are okay even if the your plot is broadly similar to many other fantasy stories. Your style, your voice etc will set your story apart from others. Good luck.

6. maidahl

maidahl Banned

Everything original is only known based on previously established conventions. Write it. Anything. Then go back and see if it is worn out or stale. Edit. Then get tons of editors and opinions. Then edit. Then edit.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's been done. Accept that from the start, and banish that concern from your thoughts.
    Concentrate on building believable, relatable characters, and have them interact in strong, believable ways.
    Read What is Plot Creation and Development?

8. Samo

Samo New Member

Put very simply...

a story is set in motion when an event occurs that tips the balance of the character's life into either the positive or the negative and the character attempts a course of action that he or she believes will return the balance, for better or worse, encountering various forms of conflict on the way. He or she may not ever achieve their desire. This conscious desire may also mask a subconscious need that may or may not be fulfilled.

The event may be triggered by the character him/herself, an antagonist or the world in which the character lives. The event shouldn't happen as coincidence.

9. Amelyn

Amelyn Member

Thank you all very much for your input. Gave me a bit more to think about... Looks like I will be really getting to know my characters a little better and finding out their deepest little secrets and desires... I am so looking forward to that and where it may take me...

YAY

Thank again