Should we only have one main character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by pamedria, Apr 4, 2016.

?

Should I focus on one person only?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  1. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

Totally agree.

The story is what guides you to the best format. If it needs multiple POVs then give it multiple POVs (should that be PsOV? Since it'd be points of view). There's a lot of guidance thrown around about how you absolutely must write a book and frankly most of it isn't all that helpful. You need to do whatever makes your story a better story and trust yourself to know what that is. No-one else can tell you.

However, I do equally agree with Bay that writing multiple points of view, especially ones that are significantly detached will lead to a more complex project to write. I wouldn't say I regret writing a multi-POV story as my first one but it threw up a bunch of problems with pacing and made working through it harder than it needed to be. If you aren't confident in your abilities then shelving it for a while might help.

2. pamedria

pamedria Member

Thank you to everyone who has commented. I've considered them all and have adapted my plan and I am feeling much better about it!
    There will be 2 MC, nothing written in first person and some chapters on other subplots which all interlink clearly, with a few nice surprises. I have removed some characters who have too much of a detached story as suggested, and I completely agree. It has made things for me more clear and focused!

Many thanks, everyone. Sorry I can't reply one by one, but I appreciate all the contributions in this thread!

JD Anders likes this.
  3. Levelskid

Levelskid New Member

If you want. There's few rules when it comes to writing. Mine has four.