1. Bandag

Bandag Member

Showing people my stuff is scary

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bandag, Dec 29, 2015.

Hey all,

It seems like most of the threads in here get no replies, which is super awkward, but I figure I should introduce myself anyway. I'm at the point in my writing where I think I'm starting to get good, but I'm still scared to show my work to anyone in case I am the only one who thinks it's any good. I've joined up here to hopefully bite the bullet and find some people who can tear my writing apart and tell me what works and what doesn't.

Anyway, if you read this, then show me some love so I don't retreat into the woodwork again.

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi!

Welcome to the forum. :) Nice to meet you! What's your story about? :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started, and I'd really recommend perusing the portion about the Writing Workshop as that's probably the place you want to frequent if you're looking for feedback on your writing.

See you around!

-Kat

3. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Welcome aboard! Good luck and have fun - if you're going to do critique groups make sure you definitely spend time critiquing others as well as putting out your own stuff...not just because it's part of the deal but also because, if you're worried about a first draft looking bad, it's actually comforting to see that plenty of other people have little issues with their stuff as well (and fixing other people's stuff sharpens you to fix your own)

Nine times out of ten, even if a particular piece gets some negative feedback, that doesn't mean it's BAD, it means it needs POLISHING.

Have fun! And most importantly, keep writing no matter what :)

4. Aster

Aster Member

I know right? I was going to make a post introducing myself and then saw how all of them were responded to in basically the same way and thought...well here's a step I can skip. :p

But since you've taken that step, I'll say heyoo! Us new members can feel daunted together!

Bandag likes this.
  5. Bandag

Bandag Member

cheers for the warm welcome, fellow writing people. Team newbies for life Aster!

6. Aster

Aster Member

You know it :p

7. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Showing my work definitely makes me anxious but constructive criticism is well worth it and, in my opinion, the only way to get your work to the level you wish it to be on.

Welcome!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  8. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

Hi, Bandag! If people in here didn't care about writing, and want to help other writers better themselves, then they'd just say that everyone's story was fabulous. But they do care, and they do want to help!

I'm sure you'll fit in nicely.

9. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

The sky thunders as a burst of light breaks through the cloud cover. The hovering light reveals a small craft touching down in the foggy forum thread. A door opens with a hissing sound as pressures equalize. A figure emerges, holding its hand out in a peaceful gesture.

"Greetings there, and welcome to the forum. Please, partake in the wonders of advice and friends we have to offer. We are pieceful, for the most part," he said before shaking his head as if that thought didnt matter.

"Don't worry about fear of posting. Just do it when you meet the forum requirments. In the meantime you can always wow people with an interesting post, be in in character or out of character," the figure said smiling before turning around back to the shuttle door.

"Be well, and welcome again," it said before the door closed in a hiss and the hum of engines thundered across the forum thread, shooting back up into the cloud cover.

AB

Bandag likes this.