1. Alyndrya

Alyndrya Member

Hi, My Name Is Aurelia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alyndrya, Jan 3, 2016.

Hi, my name is Aurelia, and I am a writer... Lol I have been writing since I was 12 years old and now I am 38. I've been writing Fanfiction for 20 years and have put out 180 short stories and novels for various Fandoms. I enjoy writing Romance, Erotica, Fantasy, Supernatural, and Horror.

I just finally achieved my lifelong dream of publishing a story. It went up onto Amazon on Christmas Eve 2015 as a present to myself. It's called The Honoured Guest (Pen name Aurelia Destiny) and is a blend of Fantasy and Horror. I have sold 22 copies so far.

I feel sort of inept, to be honest, though I have done what I always wanted. I have huge dreams planned; a 38 Supernatural Romance series (Already with summaries and some with full outlines start to finish) and 34 short stories in Horror and Erotica. I live and breath writing. I think of plots every hour of every day.

I have found that after two years of writer's block, I am not to back to the level of writing that I used to be. I used to write daily and now I am lucky to do so each week. I have consoled myself by editing old stories. I want to get these written so badly, but it's very frustrating to me that it cost $700 just to get a 19,000 word story into Amazon Kindle. I can't afford that every time. I shudder to think where I'm going to find over $1,000 to get one of my novels edited. :( Then there is the cover design...

I can write, and well, but the money aspect is really dragging me down. I am becoming depressed and stressed and wondering if I'll ever get the readers that I would really love.

I want to be published professionally, in softcover, with a publishing company, and get my books out there. I don't even know how I'm going to do this. I have a fanbase already who are supporting me and will buy my books, but I wanted to get my imagination to a larger audience.

The original idea was actually to submit The Honoured Guest to TOR or another magazine, but it got too big. I still want to submit it to a magazine, but I think that would be considered a reprint. Is that actually right? If I self-publish on Amazon and it's not through a publishing company or another magazine, is it actually a reprint? I wish I knew, because I did find a few magazines who took reprints, but not ones as big as mine. If it's not considered a reprint though, I might be able to find a magazine to take it. I guess it's almost hit novella status now?

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Anyway, thanks for letting me introduce myself and ramble on. I have nobody to talk to that's another writer who wants to be published too, or has been.

Hugs,
    Aurelia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

How can you feel inept when you have been so wonderfully productive! I am lucky if I get anything done a week sometimes! Welcome and continue your admirable output!

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Welcome! I write mostly Romance, but some fantasy and supernatural stuff, too. Nice to meet you. What Fandoms were you active in?

If you have a story you want to submit to agents/publishers, let me know and I can give you some advice on where to start. The first step is going to be coming up with something (probably novel-length, if you want it in print) that you're really, really proud of and think is ready to share.

Yes, it would count as a reprint. Self-publishing is still publishing. Also, once you've self-published, publishers are probably going to look at your sales numbers to see if you've got a hit on your hands. I don't think 22 sales is going to be enough to get them interested. It's probably best to focus your efforts on new projects at this point.

Good luck with it!

4. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Welcome Aurelia,

First, bravo on your achievement. It's more than I have done, so be proud. If people are like an atmosphere, you as a writer are in the ionosphere. So you're up there.

Second...I have to try to type a scream. WHAT? How much does it cost to publish? I'm flat broke, so this might be the swan song for my 120k word novel. I design my own cover (I used to do this kind of stuff for a living and still freelance on occasion), but dear Lord, those prices are terrifying me now...Please for the love of the writing gods tell me there's a work around.

Resuming to my calm self now. Welcome again to the forum. No matter what, I found this place very useful for advice, learning to hone my own skills and of course for fun too.

AB