1. Irranshalee L'lyvenna

Irranshalee L'lyvenna New Member

Punctuation for Aliases and Names of Unique Objects

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Irranshalee L'lyvenna, Nov 29, 2013.

I was unsure how to proceed with the punctuation for the following titles when used in full sentences. Just capitalizing them does not appear to clearly notate the words.

Jungle Cloisters: a name for a cult or group of worshipers
    The Lingering Ache: an alias for a deity
    The First Branch of the Strangler Fig: an ancient artifact

Additionally, after the initial punctuation for the titles, should I continue to use said punctuation? I am currently using quotation marks for all of them and have stopped using the quotations for any further instances.

Thanks,

Irrie.

2. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I am confused by this. Could you explain?

3. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

I heard of people that use italics if referring to a unique object or place initially, then only capitals afterwards. I avoid using quotes for unique objects, but I think that's more of a preference thing.

Regarding capitalization:

If 'Jungle Cloisters' is just a category, and there are lots of different cults that are considered jungle cloisters, I would not capitalize it at all.

The Lingering Ache should always be capitalized. If it isn't, it would be hard to tell if you're talking about the cult or an actual lingering ache.

If there are multiple branches of the Strangler Fig, I would not capitalize the first part at all. If there is only one branch in the story, and it is sometimes referred to as just "The First Branch," then I would capitalize it.

By the way, I really like the names you've come up with. They're a little long, but very imaginative!:)

4. Irranshalee L'lyvenna

Sure.

So, if I should be using capitalization for my examples, can I still use quotations (or some other difference, ex. italics), once, to make the names clearer and then stop using them as further usage should be clear to the reader.

I am currently doing that at the moment.

Example:

The modest, legal versions of Ivaidin’s sects are known as the “Jungle Cloisters”. The Cloisters seek pacifistic reform...

5. Irranshalee L'lyvenna

Jungle Cloisters would have many separate, different cults but they are all of one deity, while there are multiple deities and none of them have Jungle Cloisters as cults.

The Strangler Fig is a unique artifact and is only one object.

My question is whether or not I should use punctuation, underlining, italics, etc. to set the names off as, in Okon's words, "They're a little long, but..."

6. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Isn't the classification Christian usually capitalized? Same for Muslim? They are generic references to general religion. Christians constitutes Catholics, Protestants, Presbyterians, etc and Muslims includes Shiite and Sunni and others.

7. Okon

Hmm. That will vary on their exact definition I suppose. I previously considered jungle cloisters to be regional classifications, I.E. 'western religions.' But now with clarification, I see that Caps would be fine:)

I missed a crucial part of the first post:
    You'd be surprised. Try printing off the text or reading in a different format. Caps are usually enough.

8. Irranshalee L'lyvenna

Yes, but they are common to our lexicon. Jungle Cloister is a new term to the reader.

I am not asking if these terms should or should not be capitalized. I am certain they should be capitalized.

I am simply asking if I should accentuate the words when they are first being used. And if so, what form of emphasis should I use.

9. Irranshalee L'lyvenna

Okon,

After rereading what I have, I believe two of the three could be just capitalized. The Stranger Fig seems rather lengthy though.

ex.

The “First Branch of the Strangler Fig” can be used to call up an army of floral monsters at a moment’s notice.

The First Branch of the Strangler Fig can be used to call up an army of floral monsters at a moment’s notice.

The First Branch of the Strangler Fig can be used to call up an army of floral monsters at a moment’s notice.

I am leaning towards italics but I am not an editor and this work is simply personal so I am the editor as well :/

10. Irranshalee L'lyvenna

Here is another example of an alias:

The call of “The King of Poison” resonates with the bitterly downtrodden and resentful outsiders of all stripes.

Written without:

The call of the King of Poison resonates with the bitterly downtrodden and resentful outsiders of all stripes.

I should have paid more attention in high school.

11. Okon

Teehee! I'm sensing slight annoyance. Anyway, I just use italics when first naming something. There is no law against quotes, though, so do what you will with it.

Awesome. I've always had a... thing for dangerous plants. I'd totally read a book that has those.

12. Okon

Second sentence reads fine to me, assuming the King of Poison hath already been named.
    If it's the king's first sentence, the quotes--with 'the' on the outside--would work well, too.

Further, in my opinion, your italic example works best. But I would like to see some other opinions here, as I'm sure you would.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  13. Irranshalee L'lyvenna

Okon,

Annoyance with myself for not communicating effectively.

Thank you for your responses. I think the italics look nicer, but I will wait on another opinion or two.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don' t italicize unless it is the title of a book, statue, painting or other major artistic opus; or one of certain classes of vessel, such as trains, ocean vessels, or spacecraft (not buses or cars). This holds true whether it is the first or two-hundredth mention. In a textbook, typographic conventions are used for a defining instance of a term, etc,, but these have nohing to do with writing novels.