1. MrStoryTeller

MrStoryTeller New Member

Purposely annoying characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MrStoryTeller, Sep 21, 2015.

Do you ever create a character and make them annoying on purpose? Because sometimes I feel like writers do this for any drama TV series. Oh, Sandy is falling in love with Sam but doesn't want her husband to find out? Well too bad because Kara caught them and is now blackmailing Sandy into helping her set up her ex to lose his job. But wait! Kara's ex is Sandy's husbands best friend... And her husband finds out! Why did you do that? Because I was blackmailed by Kara. Why? I was cheating on you. Insert drama. All because Kara was being bitchy and got lucky when she caught Sandy and Sam hooking up.

I will admit, I have a character in one of my stories who I purposely made annoying who starts drama, does anyone else do this?

2. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

o_O

Hm... as far as drama goes? Poking one's nose where it doesn't belong? My vampire's momma has been known to do that sort of thing when she feels threatened. (The vampire who changed him, not his biological mom.)

Generally being annoying? Well, that'd be vampire protagonist there. He's a button-pusher, purposely ruffling feathers. Got a nickname you hate? Bet your ass he's gonna call you that for the rest of your life.

3. hilal

hilal Active Member

You cant have drama without it. There has to be some annoying character or lovable loser who adds to the comedy

4. hilal

hilal Active Member

Scott Lynch had Calo and Galdo

5. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

I stay away from "annoying" characters. Drama is not something I like, at least not TV drama. That crap is horrifying.

6. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Immediately thought of a book on that reading website that I can't think of. You can post books/stories and people will read them for free. The books called "Mate" and the main character is the most annoying person ever.

She's supposed to be 18 or something, but she acts and has teh mentality of a 6 year old all the time. It's super annoying, but she's described as super smart (like, MIT smart) and everyone can't help but love her. Bullshit. If I saw that girl, I dont' think I could be friends with her. I wouldn't be mean to her, but she wouldn't be my best buddy.

It was also awkward when she dry humps her "soul mate" or when she gave him a blowie. I felt like I was reading about a child doing these things. Blech.

7. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

Yep, where's my imaginary shotgun when I need it.

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well that was a bit convoluted. Sure if I need a douchebag to get punched in the face, or told off. Haven't really had any annoying characters so far. If I do they will have very miniscule involvement, nothing as convoluted as the OPs explanation. I prefer to use secrets and other things to create drama, like situations and what not. Annoying characters seem a little pointless unless you need a literary punching bag, so your MC can blow off steam (and a good right hook). :p

Mordred85 and sidtvicious like this.
  9. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Member

My 'annoying' characters aren't particularly annoying to me. They have traits that annoy other characters, and may in turn annoy readers who do not like those traits, but I generally don't go out of the way to make an annoying character.
    Not everyone in the world will like everyone else, that's the same with the characters I try and create. :p
    If that makes any sense. XD

xanadu, ballislife and Imaginarily like this.
  10. ballislife

ballislife New Member

Yeah, what ClassyCanuck said I reckon. In real life, no matter how perfect a person may seem, someone out there is still bound to hate her. With fiction, I would say just let the characters be themselves, then if some readers hate them, well, sorry. When I sense the writer is going out of the way to make someone annoying, then I might find that irritating since it would not be genuine.

11. dreamca7cher

dreamca7cher New Member

I stay away from intentionally annoying characters. Because to me, it's all too predictable when they finally "get what's coming to them". Sure it makes the reader say, "yes finally", and they feel good about it. But it's too cliche.

I think it's best to have antagonists be intriguing, or underhanded. I think it gets people questioning, and curious to what they will do next, rather than feel annoyed/hindered.

rainy_summerday likes this.