1. Astein35

Astein35 New Member

Help developing a back story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Astein35, Feb 7, 2013.

I'm frequently creating new characters, and currently working on one for a Role play group on deviant art. The group has certain requirements, and one of those is to fill out an application, and on that app, to include your character's back story. I have a basic idea for mine, but it's much too short, and not very in depth, but I have no idea what else to add to it.

the story of the group is all here http://papayasyndicate.deviantart.com/journal/INFO-Background-Information-309620719

so if you want to read that you can, because it might help. I feel like my character's story is lacking in depth. This is what I have so far.

Before the syndicate, Vikas used to work for a company that specialized in biological and chemical drugs, in Germany. He later made the discovery that the company was working with the drug cartel. Not wanting to be involved with drug trade, or run the risks that come with it, he decided to leave and ran away to Eridanus to escape the drug trade. He then joined the armed forces as a military medic, so he could use his medical abilities for a more positive purpose. He stayed in the military for several years, before leaving and going back to Eridanus. After he was finished with the military, Vikas decided to join the Syndicate so he could further use his medical talents, and help more people who could use the help.

I really just need someone who can add to this and make it more detailed and more in depth, to seriously help me out. I'm not in any rush to finish this, for the group is closed, but I still want to get it done as soon as possible. I have everything but the background story sorted out. So, if anyone can help, you'd be doing me a huge favor.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

1. You should be writing story, not back story. Only delve into the past to add specific points required by the story.

2. It's your story. Don't ask others to write it for you. Exercise your imagination, and it will serve you well. It will also improve your self confidence to solve these matters yourself.

3. Solitude

Solitude New Member

No more back story is currently necessary. If the plot ends up demanding it, deal with it then. What is necessary is that you've created a character who has motivations, traits, and fears. Once you've ensured that the character has those things, you're ready to start the story. The plot affects the character and (generally) yields a different person, but the character should still be complex to begin with.