1. JosephMarch

JosephMarch Active Member

Sign language

Discussion in 'Research' started by JosephMarch, Jun 10, 2015.

Does anyone know anything about a degree in communication disorders? I know people who learned sign language in college, but how common would it be to learn palm signing, as for deaf/blind people, if you were majoring in this? Would it be a masters' level kind of thing, if at all?

2. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Sure - I once worked on a project with a sign interpreter. She interprets for students at faculty of sports. They can pass all exams if they have the interpreter and knowledge.

The problem is, the deaf/partially deaf people are usually not readers - they don't read at all. That is why they usually study majors where they can learn from interpreting itself.

They can read basic words, but the sign language has different grammar, vocabulary etc.

3. JosephMarch

JosephMarch Active Member

Is this because they don't know the phonetics of words? I never thought about that!
    But do you know if it is common to know palm signing? For a proffesional or student, I mean.

4. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    They have no way of discerning phonemes. They can't hear, so they communicate in a totally different way, not sound-based.

For a regular student or teacher it is uncommon, unless you're dealing with people from special education needs department or sth. like that.