1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Signed Copies

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Wreybies, Dec 31, 2009.

I cannot say that I am a collector of signed copies of books, but I do have two of them. One is by Andre Norton (which I cannot find right now) and the other is my prized copy of Dawn by Octavia Butler.

[​IMG]

Ms. Butler was exceedingly gracious and she humored my gushing praise like a true professional when I met her in Orlando some ten years ago. Sadly she is no longer with us. (Love you, hun. Your awesomeness lives on!)

Do you have any signed copies? Did you meet the author? Were they how you expected them to be?

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Want to sell it? I have an extensive collection of Andre Norton books, but none are signed. I'd love to get hold of it...if you're so disposed.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Hm... If find it, I would be willing to just let you have it. It was so gifted to me. :rolleyes:

4. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I did have a signed copy of a book, but for the life of me I can't remember what is was or who it was by. :(

I do have a programme from Hamlet signed by David Tennant, if that counts. :D

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

The one time I had a chance to get a book signed by the author, I totally forgot my copy of his book.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I have a signed copy of Iain Banks' "The Wasp Factory" :D

And I also have a signed copy if GP Taylor's "Wormwood".

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have a signed copy of the cookbook, Lobster at Home, by local restauranteur Jasper White. I arrived too late to actually meet him, but was able to get one of the few copies left over from the signing.

I have a signed copy of Linda Barnes' A Trouble of Fools. Her husband was a colleague of mine for several years, and she used my last name for one of the characters in the book.

Finally, I have a signed copy of Terry Ervin's Flank Hawk. I wasn't able to get to a live signing, but he was kind enough to send me a signed copy.

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I have a small but decent collection of signed copies, with fewer 'big names' than the 'not so big' (yet).

From memory: I have one of Orson Scott Card (A War of Gifts) and several of Sandra Kring (Carry Me Home, The Book of Bright Ideas, Thank You for All Things, and C. Dean Andersson (the BloodSong Saga--trilogy). I also have one of Erica Hayes (Shadowfae), Marta Stephens (Silenced Cry and The Devil Can Wait), Jake George (Grandfather's Song and A New Dawn), Stephen Hines (Hocus Focus), JD Elder (Loose Cannons and other Weapons of Mass Political Destruction), Robert Farley (Thrips), Christopher (Carrie Chesney) and of course a copy of The Last Human War by our own Dean Sault (NaCl).

I've also given signed copies on occasion to family and friends, most of which they have both enjoyed and kept, especially due to the signature.

Terry

9. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I have a signed first edition of Twilight. Stephenie Meyer was kind and friendly to everybody at the book signing.

---

If you all could have one book signed by an author still alive today, and one in which you would keep forever and not sell, what book would it be?

10. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I would love a signed copy of The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. (Preferably a live signing)

That would be awfully neat...

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I would probably die of happiness if JK Rowling signed my Harry Potter books. :p I want to meet her; she's one of my literary idols. :D

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Dan and I have a few signed books now. All from his friends. Mamma's Boy - Fran Friel, Feast - R. Scott McCoy, The Kult - Shaun Jeffrey, and Strange Seed - T.M Wright, Rick Sardinha and Jack Ketchum. He has a few more signed books in the UK still. I do also know that he has more signed books coming. He really likes his signed books. :rolleyes:

He hasn't met Fran, R. Scott, or Shaun, but they are rather close friends, and he works alongside R. Scott at Necrotic Tissue Magazine and should hopefully be meeting in the next 2 years at horror conventions in the US. The other 3 I am pretty sure he hasn't met.

13. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

OMFG I want it. I love David Tennant, especially as The 10th Doctor in Dr Who.

No I don't have any signed books, but my friend has all four of the Twilight books signed by the Cullen's and the Wolf Pack from the movies. She won't let me have them either. :(

14. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My mom has a signed cookbook by Rachel Ray if that counts. I don't have signed books but would love to get my copy of The Road signed by McCarthy.

One of my professors has a aviation book signed by William Faulkner. It belonged to Faulkner and somehow ended up in my prof's hands.

15. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I wish I was cool enough to live in a cool enough place that authors would actually come to sign books, or that I had cool enough friends to get me books that were cool enough to be signed.

I would love a signed copy of "A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in my old life, within my 2,000+ volume personal library, i had many signed copies, including some by the long-gone and famous, as well as many very old books [up to 150+!]... sadly, when i tried to sell them for some needed extra income, i found it's not that easy and they don't fetch as much as you want to think they will...

of course, nowadays, with e-bay being so handy and so many buyers there who aren't professional bookbuyers/collectors, i'm sure you can find folks who'll pay over the actual auction value rate...

17. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Terry was also kind enough, as Cog has already said, to send me a signed copy of Flank Hawk, and I love it. :)

Given the chance, I would love to get my copy of Eat, Pray, Love signed by Elizabeth Gilbert.

18. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I have a signed copy of Pinquo by Colin Thiele, which is personally addressed to me though I did not ever meet him (it was a parting gift from my primary school and we were given a choice out of several of his books for him to sign).

And my tai chi instructor published a book, so I have a signed copy that, too.
    :)

19. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I'd love a signed copy of the Harry Potter series - not a whole series just one book. :)

20. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't mind getting a signed copy of something by Jason or Brian Keene.

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

A signed copy of Thomas Pynchon's V. would make me jiz in my pants.

Also, a signed copy of The God Delusion & The Greatest Show on Earth both by Richard Dawkins, God is not Great by Christopher Hitches, Geomancer by Ian Irvine and Midnight's Children by Salmon Rushdie would be amazing among my collection.

22. navyblue

navyblue New Member

Never been much of a fan to meet authors/get their signatures, because sometimes it's a huge disappointment when you meet them in person.

But I guess if William Shakespeare were to rise from his grave and sign my copy of Romeo and Juliet I wouldn't mind it much. :D

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm with you, navyblue!