1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

bittersweet alternative

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Elgaisma, Sep 27, 2010.

Have a scene my character has walked in on his teenage brother and his wife having a row she has just told his brother she is pregnant, neither are prepared, they are both still in high school and it is ended with her throwing up all over her husband, slapping him in the face and marching out.

My character holds his brother whilst he sobs who then rolls over and says Happy Birthday.

I want my character to sort of laugh - at the not quite irony of the situation because this is better than last years birthday where he tried to commit suicide and his sister assasinated his father. I don't want irony or bittersweet but can't think I know there is a word lol Any ideas? It is only Ironic if I am Alanis Morrisette and the Thesarus has Orange and Red as the alternative to bittersweet.

2. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Without making a call on the story line, here are a few possibilities ...

Sardonic
    Incongruous
    Paradoxical
    Contradictory
    Dichotomy
    Absurd
    Bizarre

3. Elgaisma

Absurd is the closest - thank you will try that in the thesaurus. The others are out purely because it is first person and not something he would say I'll stick absurdity in the spot for now it is better than the ironic:) which is wrong.

4. zaffy

zaffy Active Member

Have you thought about a statement rather than a word?

"It was happy but now it's just a birthday."

5. Elgaisma

He's not really unhappy - he is kind of thinking after having his father shot by his sister and trying to commit suicide being told he is about to be an uncle really isn't such a bad thing:) - think he is more upset about the snot his brother is getting all over his new shirt:) - he is consoling him and feels bad for him but he recognises it isn't that bad. Absurd seems to work I think Absurdity of the situation.

6. zaffy

zaffy Active Member

That's one tough character.

7. zaffy

zaffy Active Member

That's one tough character.

Okay then.

It was just a birthday but now it's a happy one, watch me birthday suit brov.

8. Elgaisma

LOL that's funny:) He's trying not to let his brother know that being covered in snot, vomit and tears is grossing him out big time :) But otherwise that is almost worth using my MC needs to find his sense of humour