1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Getting yourself to write

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Poziga, May 10, 2014.

I have a problem.

When I sit down, I can write for hours. When writing for sci-fi contest, I was writing a couple of hours a day, since We'vee had a deadline. The problem is forcing myself to sit down and write a novel, for which I have no deadline (I did begin though). I like writing, but I don't consider it (at least yet) as a complete fun, it's still something like a chore/job.

What to do in this case, when I can't get myself to write ? I'm sure it gets better with time, but still...

I have a feeling this type of thread has already been created, but I couldn't find it.

2. Inkwell1

Inkwell1 Active Member

You may not be writing the right genre. If you hate sci-fi and feel like it isn't flowing out of your fingertips and onto the page (or screen), try writing fantasy or realistic fiction instead. You might even want to try poetry if no genre of writing seems natural.

It could be that you are forcing yourself to write. Writing for a period of time each day is good, but brainstorm a little first. Doing something tedious with your hands helps, I find myself always constructing stories when I tidy up my room or the like.

Writing should be fun, not a chore. If you think you might need a break for a day, use it to brainstorm (or do something tedious with your hands!). And don't scold yourself if you do take a break, everyone needs them once in a while.

Good luck! :write:

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Make a deadline for yourself?

peachalulu likes this.
  4. Poziga

No the genre is ok, it happens more than once that I'm smiling when writing. I've also been reading stories, like the one I'm writing, nearly all my life.

Haha I too think a lot about writing when cleaning my room. :D
    Maybe is also the problem that I fear a little of being rejected, or that people won't like my stories. That is why I'm sometimes "afraid" of writing.

I expressed myself wrong. When I'm writing it is fun, I don't even think otherwise. Like I said above, I sometimes smile or laugh. The problem is the time when I'm not writing. I'ts like I have some kind of psychological barrier that is preventing me from writing. But I have beat it in the past and I will beat it again, I'm sure of it. It may sound right now that I am forcing myself to write, but that's because I hate to sit down and begin, but love sitting after first five sentences.

The worst part is the first blank page. But that is nothing special, many writers say the worst part is the beginning. After that it gets easier.

@thirdwind, simple solution, huh? :D
    But deadlines created by myself, don't work for me.

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

The answer is stupidly simple (or simply stupid): force yourself. You say it's hard to force yourself, but if you force yourself properly, then you will do it. I've been through exactly the same thing as you, but you just need to open up the document, stare at it for a few seconds if you wish, and then write a little bit. You can backspace if you think it's horrible, and you may end up only writing a sentence, but even half a step is a half-step towards success. :)

Cheesy, yes. Annoying, maybe. But you know I'm right. ;)

Poziga likes this.
  6. Poziga

@Thomas Kitchen, a stupidly simple question needs a stupidly simple answer, and it also looks like I already accidently asnwered to it: :D
    And yes, you're right, whenever I managed to force myself to sit down and open a Word, I sat there for hours, throwing the words in the document.
    Maybe now, that I've publicly expressed my "problem" It'll be easier for me to sit down. We'll see. :)

Thanks to all of you for tips and help. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Thomas Kitchen likes this.