Tags:
  1. Edward

Edward Active Member

Silent Protagonist Syndrome in a story (and a pastiche of games that use the device)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Edward, Jul 31, 2007.

I was reading a lot of the Limyaael rants, and one of them is about mute characters. At one point she brings up that mute characters are very rarely main characters and I jotted down "Main character is mute" in my note book. I didn't think much more of it until an hour later when I was sleeping:

This would be an interesting thing, a pastiche of all the video games that use a "Silent Protagonist" (it would also be a good reason for my to actually try second person, but I digress). The character could only communicate by gesturing wildly or conjuring up little magical images, or perhaps even funnier, drawing the images. And because he can only communicate with pictures, and because he's the "chosen one" he would be dragged into all sorts of situations that he would regret, and because he's the protagonist he couldn't say no to little old ladies who's cat got lost.

Of course, the only plot I came up with in those wee hours of the morning was that our young SP was made to wake up a number of princesses, Sleeping Beauty style)i.e.: with a kiss, for those of you not raised on Disney). They then fall madly in love with him for no reason than he saved them, or perhaps they don't but still tag along to rescue their sisters(?). but then again, I haven't thought much else besides an indentation under the muteness entry that says "Main character must rescue princesses, quickly degenerating into a harem comedy"

2. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Mute hero, sounds interesting.

As for princesses, I don't think so, I mean a harem is something that needs to be handled carefully, and I am sure having that in a comedy is the best idea.

I'm sure it could be funny, but, i think it create alot of work for you, work that could be avoided, and I think with a story of this type, a stronger focus on the hero would be a good idea.

Just because you don't speak doesn't mean you have nothing to say.

3. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Quick question, where was it that you found the rants of Limyaael?

4. Edward

Edward Active Member

link in General Writing in the "ligers and Unicorns and Links, Oh my."
    I've really enjoyed reading them, pretty helpful in thinking of ideas to add to the skeleton of my story.

I've never actually seen the harem genre outside of comedy. Then again, I've also only seen it in Anime ('cause Japan is full of perverts)

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Alright, good. Torana and I set up those links, though I wasn't sure how many people have actually used them. I had found Limyaael a while back and I loved those rants... so I thought I should share. If you have any good links, just tell a mod and they can add to the list.