1. Anthem

Anthem New Member

A Idea for a Reimagining of Sorts

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Anthem, Mar 4, 2009.

I have this idea brewing for a work. I was thinking about taking Alice (from Alice in Wonderland) and Christopher Robbins (from Winnie the Pooh) - two very iconic symbols of childhood and innoence and having them somehow wind up a in a grim, post-apocalyptic wasteland (ala Fallout) that features elements of both works (like the Mad Hatter, The Queen of Hearts, Winnie the Pooh himself) but reimagined in the post-apocalyptic setting. The whole theme being innoence vs the grim reality of what man is capable of.

I'm sure it would have a dark, very surreal tone to it with a lot of subtle (and some not-so-subtle) satire to it.

What do you think?

I thought it, personally, would be too close to The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Bedor or American McGee's Alice but I don't know.

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Don't worry about how it would be too close to someone else's work until you've writte it and it is the same.

Well, I think that this would be a very short story unless the innocent ones are met with miraculous fortune or they learn and become not so innocent.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

4. Anthem

Anthem New Member

Very truely spoken. Apologies.