1. mywrittentruth

mywrittentruth New Member

Similes - when is it to much?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by mywrittentruth, Oct 7, 2012.

In my writing I find it to be easier to grab the attention of an audience when comparing unlike things but never making the connection until much further in the text, sometimes this consists of using three or four similes or metaphors when describing a character. In the sense of the protagonist it is something that he sees, creating a pattern of thought. A message that I push for my in my own novel or writing is that reality is a combination of perspective and context. Can this work in terms of developing a character? Would it be to much or is there a fine line. I have seen something like this done in a book that I did not understand until long after I read it but that could be because I was forced to and did not find the plot at the time, all that appealing. I can not post in the workshop or I would put an example up, I am sorry I am trying to come across as clear as possible.

2. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I think there's a fine line where its sensible not to cross when using similes or metaphors. If you overuse them, the text can be flowery and, or confusing - purple prose I think they call it. Use similes sparingly and they will leave an impact but if overdone and you won't be able to to see the trees for the forest.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no one can tell if what you're doing works, till you post some examples...

so, do what the site rules require and then post a couple of excerpts... that will enable us to give you valid feedback...

4. Kectacoco

Kectacoco New Member

Like Mammamaia said, people who review your writing will tell you which similes work and which ones do not. However, if you like writing similes and think better using similes, then why not write as many as you need? You can always turn a simile into a more concrete statement later.