Since when has the criteria of publication exluded good writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mr Sci Fi, Apr 22, 2008.

1. AwfulBigAdventure

AwfulBigAdventure New Member

Mr. Sci fi, since its you're thread, I address you...Publishers are like movie producers, they're looking to make the next Da Vinci Code or Harry Potter and stay in business. That being said, they don't know anything. They aren't novelists (or worse, if they are, you're always going up against what their idea of the great novel is in their head) and so they go for things that seem like a sure thing. Seem. But of course, they can never know for sure.

So what do you need to arm yourself against these guys? Research, persistance, the ability to make yourself marketably appealing, and good writing. It's a lot like dating to find the right fit and timing publication. And more often than not, you meet a lot of toads in the process. It's why a lot of people get bitter and burn out in this business. All I can say is don't get bitter at these crap published writers, you've got better things to do, like work on your own stuff.

Cheers and good luck.

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Good writing. Bad writing. Undeserving publication. Formulaic drivel. You're all missing the bull's eye.

In fact, the angst in this discussion inadvertently highlights WHY some good writers fail to get published. There seems to be a lack of insight.

Publication is merely a financial transaction, only mildly related to the litereary quality of the finished product. Rather, each book selected by an editor simply fits into a niche. The finest writing will not sell if it neglects one simple fact...authors MUST know their market and write accordingly!

If you haven't taken the time to analyze and cater to your potential customers (readers), then why would you be surprised that an editor - who clearly DOES know his market...why would you recoil in disbelief when he or she rejects your brilliant, yet irrelevant, prose?

A mature writer develops a good idea about his or her audience and their expectations. Then, and only then, will you find literary agents and publishers who deal with that specific segment of society. Gate-keepers seeking material for their well-defined book-buyers are more likely to respond to your story when it targets their market. Rather than ruminate about the difficulty of getting published, invest your psychic energy constructively. Just as you might use a character sheet to "build" your protagonist, do the same thing with your anticipated reader.

Male? Female? Young or old? Conservative or liberal? College educated or vocational school graduate? How much are they willing to spend on a book? Hardback or paperback? Do your potential fans enjoy complexity or would they be happy watching a white hat/black hat cowboy movie? Will they be turned off by spaceships in a Star Wars-style scene that make loud engine noise, despite the vacuum of space?

My point is, know your reader and you will suddenly discover exactly how to develop your story and where it is likely to find a positive reception.

.....NaCl

ps I have not yet published a novel, but I have fifteen years experience writing articles for magazines. I learned exactly what my fans wanted and I never disappointed them. This elevated my publication success (measured in $$$) to that of regular author. Was I better than most other writers who did not receive as many feature articles? Nope. Just knew my readers better than the other writers did.

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I agree with this and I agree with you Mr. Sci-fi.

I am to young to get anything published and since my first language isn't English I have a lot of work fixing my English before I can published.

The book industry is the almost the same as the gaming industry. They all make horrible things. There are very few gems now a days. And I think it is because our generation is getting stupider. I have not met a single person who reads as much as I do.
    I read at least 56 books throughout a week.
    While the people I talk to like Dan and Pal because they only read one book the whole year.
    I think it has something to do with that. That there are very any people who read anymore.