1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

conversations inside the head

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Elgaisma, Sep 7, 2010.

Two of my characters have a special connection and can communicate together when apart. Do I treat it as normal dialogue>? - this is the situation please forgive it is first draft. Nate is inside Soc's head, so is someone else but they are not speaking.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Always treat as normal dialogue. Indicate to your reader through description that the communications is nonverbal, not through special fonts, italics, unusual and/or nonstandard quotation marks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Use regular quotes, but make sure that it's clear that the partner's voice is coming from Soc's head and not from actual speaking (with him literally being there).

Be careful though -- don't use the thought bond as an excuse for one character to easily know when one is hurt, which way one went, when one is in danger, etc. That's too much of an easy plot device. I think someone else pointed this out once.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Thanks would add to both your reputations but says I have given you too much already lol

It is a bond they have constantly but is being used intermittantly because Nate is drugged. He is still managing to transmit low level at night when the drug is wearing off, Soc has been in this position for some time before Nate intervenes and still loses his sight.

5. SandraLSC

SandraLSC New Member

The Twilight books (well the ones after Twilight) do this with the werewolves. If you haven't read them, you could give them a quick read to get an idea of how it's done.

1 person likes this.
  6. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I always treat comunication as a standard conversation. It doesn't matter if it's spoken, online chat, mind reading or a crazy person speaking with his microwave.