1. Klevis

Klevis New Member

Single, Book, Trilogy or Saga

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Klevis, Apr 11, 2009.

Which do you prefer, a Single lone Book, a Trilogy of Books, Or a Saga of many.

Personally I prefer a Trilogy as when I read a Single Book I always hunger for more of it and to read about what happens to the characters. But a Saga drags on for me and eventually gets boring and the characters have nothing left to reveal?

You?

2. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Yeah, I think trilogies are the way to go. Long enough to immerse the reader in a world they love for awhile without dragging on too long. I like interrelated trilogies, where they are about different characters in the same world, the same characters years later, etc.

3. Klevis

Klevis New Member

Yeh I know what you mean, same world different characters, I also like it when the books hint at what happened in the previous book, or a character from the previous book appears in the next even though it is in a different setting, and a different main.

4. I-pie3

I-pie3 New Member

I personally don't mind saga's when they are written correctly. It is great when the characters got stronger over the series, and then different people are introduced and I feel I can really get into the books I'm reading.

But then again I'm new here...! ;)

5. Klevis

Klevis New Member

Hehe

6. I-pie3

I-pie3 New Member

Yeah and his other series too....the WW2 one, that's really good aswell....

7. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

I'm definitely a single-book kind of guy, but I always wanted to write a trilogy.

8. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Sagas for sure..

...as hard as it is for me to freaking get through one of them.

9. miasmatic7

miasmatic7 New Member

My two favourite books are triologies (or at least one of them is a triology in four parts).

Saga-wise, I enjoyed Harry Potter and just started reading the Temeraire series.

10. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I love all of them. Yes at the end of a single book, I'm hungry for more, but I still love them. Trilogies are great or when you are craving that little extra. My favourite books of all time are a trilogy - The Fall of Ile Rien (still have yet to find anyone who has read them)

And as for saga's, it's rare to find ones that capture my attention in full, but I do love them. As somone mentioned before, Harry Potter is a great one.

11. I-pie3

I-pie3 New Member

Not wanting to be rude or anything....but there is a much bigger market than Harry Potter! Yes it was good but a lot of better single, trilogies and sagas are available.......thats what I found. I liked it at the start, then found others and got more into them.

But hey, don't listen to me......

12. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Yes, I'm aware there are other sagas, I just grabbed the first one in my head. (I can see it on my book shelf from where I sit)

I enjoy the Foundation series, the Dresden Files, the Ender Series, etc. Harry Potter was just an example I used. -shrugs-

13. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

It'd be so cool to write a saga.

14. rory

rory Active Member

Stand alone novels are my favorites, followed closely by trilogies and sagas. I just like the idea of having the bad guys beat and the conflict resolved in between the covers of one book. Cliff hangers drive me loony. Especially when the author is still writing the next book. If I were ever to write a trilogy I would release them all at once, to ease the suffering of people like me! :p

15. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

I heard that! How many sagas/trilogies have been cut off by a sudden end to a writing career?

16. rory

rory Active Member

Too many, my friend...
    I usually wait until they are finished now before I pick them up. Then I can read straight through as though it were one book!

17. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

Prefer single books, allows me to love and focus on the book in particular....though of course there's series that can draw me in

18. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Single books – I like them. I like being able to read a story all in one go, I like meeting characters for the first time, I like reading about places I haven’t read about before. I probably use the word like too much in that sentence but that’s how I feel.

Trilogy – I’m quiet partial to a well written trilogy, but the concept is very cliché, especially in the fantasy arena. And it seems that whenever an author writes one successful novel, when the subject of subsequent books comes up the automatic response seems to be come up with one story, split into two halves and pad each half out so individually each makes up a decent sized book, preferably larger than the one that preceded it.

Saga/ Series – I’ve become a bit jaded towards these. Too many good decent books have been killed by excessive numbers of increasingly less enjoyable sequels. After a certain number of books sagas often become co-authored or written by different authors altogether, this being the point of no return, because from this point onwards things only get worse. And yes I'm looking right at you Wheel of Time.

19. I-pie3

I-pie3 New Member

Ciff-hangers are the best! I love 'em!

I always try to have a cliff hanger at the end of all my stories.......maybe I'll be suited to writing sagas??

20. milky-joe14

milky-joe14 New Member

It depends on the genre-
    fantasy is fantastic in a trilogy or saga, as is crime.

Drama and romance are best left as one-offs..

21. arron89

arron89 Banned

Yeah I'm definitely a stand-alone story kinda guy. As long as the book is wrapped up well and there's some kind of catarthis or revelation by the end, one is enough. Then again, im not really into fantasy or crime, so most of the books i read have no need for sequels or sagas (although there are a few that exist and are excellent, Cormac McCarthy's, for instance).

22. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I'll read basically anything, so I don't think I really have a preference.

Though, since I started my book review blog, I've been reading only single books.

23. Rabid Fox

Rabid Fox New Member

Personally, I don't have a problem with trilogies, or even sagas, but when an author can come up with a one-and-done novel that's truly good, I look forward to reading more of their work. Many authors can find comfort and financial security (or the closest thing to) in recurring characters, but they gotta be good.

24. PoeMars

PoeMars New Member

For me it could go any way. If a single book leaves me yearning for more I tend to just try another book by the same author. I love trilogies, but if a saga is written correctly (meaning good character development and introduction of new characters and storylines) and can keep my attention I'll just keep reading and reading em.

25. Bernard Williams

Bernard Williams New Member

I'm really picky about this. I like plain fiction to be single books, but I can't get into Fantasy unless it is a trilogy or saga.