1. zilly

zilly New Member

Screenwriting Question

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by zilly, Nov 27, 2010.

I know that it's risky to put any part of a novel online if I have any intention on getting it published; however, I'm wondering if it is the same way for a screenplay.

I ask because, unlike a novel, a screenplay doesn't have to be original. The producer just needs to have the rights to it. So, I'm thinking that putting it online is fine. I figure that a producer can't just scoop up screenplays online and produce them without actually getting the rights, but I don't know if submitting it online makes the author's rights invalid.

I want to know, because I'd really like to put a screenplay that I'm writing online when I finish it -- unless, of course, that's a really bad idea.

Thanks,

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, it is a really bad idea, if you hope to sell it... you're right in that publication wouldn't be an issue, since screenplays aren't bought to be printed and sold, as books are, but with screenplays, i'm sorry to say that the 'theft' and 'plagiarism' risks are of much more concern than they are with prose...

so, if you want an opinion, just post brief excerpts, never the whole thing...

i mentor many aspiring screenwriters, so if you want any help/advice/whatever feel free to drop me an email any old time...

...don't know where you got that idea, but it's nonsensical... why would you think a script wouldn't have to be 'original'?

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. zilly

zilly New Member

By original, I meant an original work. For example, there are several movies based on The Lord of the Rings. The producer just needs rights to that story and then a script can be written from that. Maybe that doesn't make sense how I meant it to, though.

But, I'll definitely remember to send you an email when I get this planned out a little more. I figure it's a waste of time since the script is for an animated movie, though.

4. Newfable

Newfable New Member

You know, maybe that's why Hollywood doesn't usually produce amazingly good, original movies.

Just kidding. ;)

mammamaia's right. Anything creative you put online (insofar as writing is concerned, I'm not too well verse on art and all that) has the capacity to be stolen or useless for publication/distribution. If you do post it online somewhere, don't be surprised if you see a movie soon after with a few of your ideas...

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why would you assume that?... a good, commercial script is a good commercial script period, whether it's for live action or animation... and if it's good enough to interest an agent, you've just as much chance to get it optioned/sold as any other...