1. Church9832

Church9832 New Member

When copying other works

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by Church9832, Jun 8, 2012.

My MAIN problem with script writing is copying other peoples works.
    Somehow when I write there are specific parts where its almost exactly the same.

How do you guys avoid doing this?
    I've heard that most things are not completely original but what my production company looks for is works that do not mimic other works.

Thanks in advance :)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've never had that problem, so don't have to avoid doing it...

what 'parts' are you referring to?... can you give me some examples?

and do you mean writing screenplays?... or theatrical play scripts?

do you own/run your own production company, or are you a 'studio hack' for a film producer?

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Sounds to me like you're very easily influenced, and, as a student, that might be just because you're young.

But being easily influenced isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, it can be if you're only influenced by other movies in the genre you work in - it would be hard not to copy in that situation. But I'm reminded of writers like Hemingway, who based so much of his work on experiences from his own life. That works if you've had a lot of interesting experiences. If not, allow yourself to be influenced by magazines and newspapers. Often, you'll see stories in these periodicals in which you might say truth is stranger than fiction. Base your stories on those articles. Don't copy them, but fictionalize them - ask yourself "what if?" questions. What if B had happened instead of A?

If you find your inspiration in nonfiction, you are far less likely to look like you're imitating someone else's script.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your best defense against too closely mimicking someone else's work is to broaden your reading/viewing. The more you view and read a wide range of works, the more influences you will tap into, and each will have a smaller proportional presence in the whole of your work.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I've done this before especially when watching a lot of movies when I'm writing , and or , picturing my characters not as themselves but rather as a thinly disguised versions of Robert Deniro , or Richard Burton. Suddenly, the character evaporates and I'm left with a lot of copied soundbites. I finally made a list of movies and scenes I love, and began to dissect them to find out why I admired them so much. This can actually help pinpoint the problem. You might find that you're nervous about using your own ideas and plot twists and relying on things that have already been tried , tested and liked.

6. Church9832

Church9832 New Member

Thank you all for your advice!
    I'm now applying this by reading alot of books! It's helping me figure out more original characters and storylines :)

I guess my problem was that I drew too much on films and not on books. Books are so much better for the imagination as films already give you a clear picture not allowing you to make your own (IMO).

Thanks again :)

7. Tattat44

Tattat44 New Member

“Bad artists copy. Good artists steal.”

-Pablo Picasso