1. TereFaerie

TereFaerie Member

Skimpy Bio: Better to leave out all together?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by TereFaerie, Apr 6, 2009.

Just trying to frame up my query letter, but one part that is stumping me is the bio section. I have no publishing credits, and my degree and career are in Art History and Museum Studies.

However, my novel takes place in part in historical New Orleans, and I work in the city at a historical society and museum. Would it be pertinent to add a single sentence to my bio detailing that relationship to my work?
    Here's a terrible example I might put in my last paragraph:

"Employed by [name of my museum] with a Master’s Degree in Art History, I derive inspiration from the cultural material I work with every day."

Too much unrelated info?

Thanks in advance!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...definitely, since it shows you have inside info on the subject...

Here's a terrible example I might put in my last paragraph:

yes, in re the degree, which has little to do with the history of the city and the 'inspiration' bit, as well... i'd go with something simpler, that just connects where you work with the factual historical background and info you included in the book...

3. TereFaerie

TereFaerie Member

Thanks for the advice, mamamaia. Just what I needed to streamline my query.

Have a great day!

4. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

I got an even trickier one as to deciding what to put into the bio, if anything at all. While I have been published, none of it was professional, and I know editors and agents don't care much about ones that are not professional. The closest thing I have to profession experience like Faerie's is that publishers would classify my books as teen/middle grade fiction, and I am an Educational Assistant who has worked with children in supporting literacy. That experience might make me more aware of the variety of literacy needs kids have than someone who hasn't had any experience with kids outside their family. Also, one of them, the MC is being put on medication she doesn't really need and in school, I studied the issues regarding giving medication to kids for behavioural/mood disorders. But that's about it.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry to say, none of that will interest agents or publishers if included in a query letter, rei... they only want to know if you have any paid credits and the other stuff isn't really relevant... so your book will have to speak for itself... if it's good enough, it won't matter to them if you've never been paid for your work yet...

good luck with it!

love and hugs, maia