1. glacierfanclub

glacierfanclub New Member

Concerned about my punctuation here

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by glacierfanclub, Mar 13, 2013.

Hi all,

I'm a bit concerned about my punctuation in the following post. Could someone confirm whether it is correct? Also, does the sentence sound ok? Thanks in advance!

Additional reflections by the students and faculty of TGS on the state of Iguazú National Park can be found in our video, "Should we be at Iguazú falls?".

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The sentence is awkward. You should move the prepositional clauses around to make the sentence less confusing.

Additional reflections on the state of Iguazú National Park by the students and faculty of TGS can be found in our video, "Should we be at Iguazú falls?".

Sorry if my explanation is hard to parse:

If you put, 'by' first and then 'what', it separates reflections from 'reflections of what' and puts 'of what' closer to 'faculty'. While it isn't as muddy as it could be, the prepositional clause 'on the state' could be interpreted as 'the faculty of TGS on the state of Iguazu' rather than 'reflections of Iguazu' by the faculty.

In some cases you need a comma between 'reflections, on' and between 'TGS, can'. I don't think you do here. For example: Additional reflections, like those mentioned earlier, can be found... I believe the preposition 'on' makes the comma unnecessary. Maybe someone else knows why or if that is not correct.

3. glacierfanclub

glacierfanclub New Member

Thanks for your help, GC. I made the changes, and I can see how they make sense.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You're welcome.