1. ilocar

ilocar Member

Sports sequence

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by ilocar, Apr 30, 2012.

I am writing a story about a magical school and I developed a sport for the athletically inclined students to engage in. but I was wondering how best to incorporate the sport into the narrative. how much should the characters talk about it? how much detail do I go into to explain the sport? How do I write the games so that I don't bore people or confuse them.

2. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Well, how do people talk about sport in regular school? It's usually in the context of:

Playing for the school team - having to go to practice, worrying about not having enough time to fit in sports and school work
    Following a local or national team - they might discuss the score from the latest game, or duscuss upcoming games
    Social culture - a friend/brother/sister/boyfriend/girlfriend could be a star player and therefore their social circle revolves around this sport

Just try to build the sport into the fabric of your world, so that discussing it as as natural and occurs as often as you or your mates might discuss baseball.

As to how to describe it in a non boring way... well, that's an impossible question to answer without knowing what it is! But you could check out sports articles to see how sports journalists write up games.

3. MissRis

MissRis New Member

I would take a look at Harry Potter and how JK Rowling handled Quidditch. She informed the reader about the game, they talked about it, and she showed them playing games and whatnot without it being boring. I don't know if this is the sort of thing you mean when you said that "you made up the a sport for the athletically inclined" at your magic school.

Hope this helps.