Sleepless in the World

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by becca, Mar 4, 2009.

1. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

They are becoming alittle too plentiful. It is hard to find the really good ones among the cheesy ones.

2. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I've had critical insomnia for the past four years. In fact, I have an appointment today in about 2 hours for some sleep medication. It's frustrating because I can lie down in bed and try to go to sleep for four hours, and nothing. I've tried so many different remedies/medication/solutions in general and nothing seems to work. Last night I got about four hours, which is my average. I just have difficulty sleeping, especially at night and especially during the summer. Not looking forward to this upcoming Arizona summer.

The least sleep I ever got, though, was during the six and a half weeks of basic training. My god, I was a zombie the entire time. Out of it almost everyday, as the narrator from Fight Club says, never really asleep, never really awake. I remember falling asleep while marching, LOL.

3. Kas

Kas New Member

That's exactly how it is for me. Some medications can work, but I've never found any to be effective in the suggested dosage. In the benzodiazepine family, I had the best luck with nitrazepam. Barbiturates will also work, but that is hard stuff and few doctors will prescribe it. Nothing in the "Z" category works for me (zopiclone, ambien etc).

Since I don't like overdosing on pills any more than I want to become addicted, I generally avoid meds... Although, I do keep some handy for dire situations.

I can't imagine going through basic training like that! I have also fallen asleep while walking many times when I got too overzealous in trying to correct the issue... People like to say that consistency in your daily routine will cure insomnia - but they've never encountered the serious kind. It kinda blows that theory to hell if military training didn't help. lol...

I've had this problem all my life. If yours is only in the fourth year then there may be some hope for you yet. I think I've tried everything imaginable to cure my affliction, but that doesn't mean that nothing will work for you. Keep trying, and hopefully insomnia will become no more than a bad memory some day. As for me, I've learned to cope.

Insomniac writers, heh. We're walking cliches.:p

Anyway, I totally get what you're going through.

*Hugs*

4. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

When I was a pre-teen, I could go for two days without a bit of sleep and not feel tired at all. Not the case these days. Now, if I sleep even half an hour less than I'm used to, I'm drowsy all day. And no, I don't know how long I usually sleep, as I always take quite a while to fall asleep after getting into bed. It's more than six hours, I know that much.

5. samessex

samessex New Member

hey.
    well, up until the past week so, i had a perfectly regular sleeping pattern! however, started on nights recently and now cannot sleep at night at all! and only getting a few hours during the day!
    :-(

6. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I don't understand how or why anyone would want to go extended periods without much sleep. It just isn't sensible, I mean you end up feeling like crap for the days following due to the lack of sleep. I personally love lots and lots of sleep. haha

7. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I would be thrilled. :D

8. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

It's not a once in a while thing for me, I just plain do not need much sleep, but then to add to it, I'm on medication that keeps me wired until late into the night. So I can function decently with 4 hours of sleep a night, which means I read a lot. I can read when I'm kind of tired, but I can't write when I'm that way. I need all my mental faculties functioning to write.

9. samessex

samessex New Member

its not that i want to challenge myself to not have sleep for x amount of hours, its purely that i cannot sleep!!! before night shifts, i loved sleep!!! ;)

10. becca

I personally love to sleep. I think the longest I have ever slept at one time wa 14 hours, and someone woke me up. I also have sleep apenea (prolly spelt wrong), where when you are sleeping, you aren't really sleeping. So I am sometimes tired even when I sleep alot.

Since becoming a parent I no longer get the luxury of sleeping when I want. If the little man is awake, then mommy has to be awake. That is how it works.

11. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I love the feeling of being really tired and hittng the bed. I truly love that feeling a few miniutes before you fall asleep, where you just feel so tired and the bed feels like the best thing in the world...than...ZZZZ

12. becca

Now I want to go sleep some more.