Slendermess

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheLeonard112, Jun 5, 2014.

1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I agree with this. It's certainly possible to trick someone with a PhD or MD or any degree (not to mention that you don't have to be insanely smart to get these degrees in the first place). Some of these health issues are very hard to diagnose correctly. That's especially true for mental illnesses, where a lot of times the doctor/psychologist is relying on self-reported symptoms.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Yep. My understanding is that it's well known, among professionals, that professionals can often be fooled by narcissists. I'd think that the same could be true of other issues.

3. novemberjuliet

novemberjuliet Member

Being tried as an adult and being convicted as an adult are two seperate things. I hate to bring up race but I know a group of four 12 and 13 year old black kids who took a car for a joy ride in my home town and killed 14 year old and all were tried as adults. Couldn't you argue they didn't understand the consequences of their action? Their murder was unintended and they were still tried as adults. Granted they were let out on parole after a few years, the point is their age alone should not exempt them from. This isn't an argument of "if A did, than B should too" but I'm saying obviously this is circumstantial and them being tried as adults isn't really as harsh as many are making it out to be. If anything it offers the court more room to investigate the crime.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The courts are not racially or economically neutral. It sucks, I'm with you there.

TheLeonard112 likes this.
  5. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

[resist urge to make dark humour joke here]

I think they should be tried as Children and get some medical help. They are not adults. Yes, they planned this way in advanced. However, they are still children. It is clear to me someone didn't teach them the difference between reality and fiction. <---which is hilarious coming from someone with schizophrenia

6. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

It's 'attempted murder' not playground bullying. This is serious stuff and should be treated as such otherwise any minor will think they can get away with murder and only get their hands slapped for it.

This reminds me of the Bulger case, in 1993, when two ten year old boys abducted, tortured and murdered a two year old boy. The details are horrific so I chose not to highlight them here but if you want more details the link is below:
    at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Bulger

Many believe childhood ends at age ten. By that age it is thought 'children' understand what is right and what is wrong. Stabbing an apparent friend to befriend another, is wrong and should be punished accordingly.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I mentioned the Bulger case a few posts back too. I don't know why it reminds me of it though, aside from the obvious.

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

This is true to an extent, but it's a lot less significant than you might think. It is extremely rare, almost unheard of these days that forensic psychiatrists are fooled by offenders, regardless of their condition. This is due to the fact that we are pretty experienced in spotting them, but also, every one is examined by are least two, often three psychiatrists and often interviewed several times, up to ten hours in duration. MMPI is a very sophisticated tool, it takes hours to administer but it's harder to fool then the polygraph.

In day to day psychiatry, it's also very rare to miss a narcissist or a psychopath, because if they are presenting on the back of a legal issue as they often do, that makes us extra vigilant. Times issues get mixed up are in case of personality disorders vs major mental illness, so you have female schizophrenics or bipolars treated as borderline PDs until someone realises what they have (much rarer these days, but I know one patient who went through this in the 80s and early 90s) or bipolars treated for depression and cyclic mood component goes undiagnosed for a while (much more common scenario especially in the UK), OCPD to be treated as OCD, until it becomes clear meds aren't working and the personality is a problem, things like that. Also in adolescent psychiatry, it can be difficult to distinguish things sometimes, not in the least because of specific adolescent psychology.

And while harm sometimes occurs due to incorrect diagnosis, much more commonly we presume a treatable illness, and only if treatments don't work, and over time, other features emerge. The saying hoes you have to have at least ten sessions with someone before you diagnose them with a personality disorder.

Overall, it's not nearly as much of a problem as it used to be in the '70s, which is when a lot of the literature about thus was written, and it lead to standardisation of psychiatric practice (hence DSM and the rest).

Jack Asher likes this.
  9. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Oh good it looks like Slenderman has become the next Doom/Marilyn Manson.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/09/daughter-attacks-mom-slender-man_n_5473213.html

You'll notice her mom says she designed a level for Slenderman in Minecraft, which tells me she doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. There's a mob in Minecraft called Enderman and they have their own level.

TheLeonard112 likes this.
  10. Jack Asher

GingerCoffee and Lemex like this.
  11. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Genius. Pure criminal genius.

12. Jack Asher

That's right, this little girl is basically Hannibal Lector.