1. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Slipped me a mickey

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Alesia, Sep 8, 2013.

I know this term means someone drugged a person's (usually a woman's) drink to incapacitate them, but does it generally only apply to an alcoholic beverage? My MC feels hungover, but remembers she was only drinking virgin Coka Cola the night before so she says:

But I'm wanting to go with

However, I don't want to use that phrase if it only applies to liquor. Or do you think I could use it anyway and still hold the meaning?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm sure the meaning is originally of something slipped into an alcoholic beverage, but the use is pretty general at this point to mean having been given something unawares. Truth be told, the term has a quaintness to it I would associate with someone who also said things like toots, gams, and dames. ;)

3. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Senior Member

I wouldn't have any problems understanding the second one and if it fits your character's voice better you should definitely use it.

4. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

If she's feeling weird after drinking only a coke then I suppose what she said would depend on her surroundings at the time. Was she in a dodgy bar? McDonalds or walking down the street with a can through a straw?

I think also she wouldn't so easily think the worst. She might point the finger at something else she did that day before accusing a would-be predator or maybe your character has a dangerous job such as a spy where she might expect to be drugged and kidnapped.

I'd say there are many other aspects as to her words after being doped, or slipped a micky!

5. Alesia

Beautiful 29 year old girl (my avatar) in a dodgy bar... alone and being leered at by equally dodgy guys.

On another note, yeah the narrative does show her in short going over the course of the day in her mind (during which she felt normal) before concluding at said dodgy bar where she figures that must be what happened.

6. DPVP

DPVP Active Member

I will say from experience you don't really realize something is wrong until you come too. then you feel sick for a few days. its like an intense PTSD episode in a pill the next time you try to sleep.

i still hear the Micky comment, sometimes slipped a roofie too. it does not sound that odd to me

7. shunoshi

shunoshi Member

I'm fairly certain that slipping someone a mickey doesn't have much to do with the actual beverage; it has to do with drugging the beverage to incapacitate the victim. Chloral Hydrate seems to be the drug of choice as it's a hypnotic similar to rohypnol (roofies), or the general slang term "date rape drug". Like Wreybies mentioned, the term is pretty old. I haven't heard it used in quite awhile.

8. Alesia

You mean you feel hungover, but worse when you wake up? Or something else? And by PTSD in a pill, you mean like you remember what happened in the form of a nightmare? I might work that into the narrative.

9. DPVP

DPVP Active Member

a bad hangover feels better. you also puke a lot more when drugged form my experience.

so the day after you feel bad all over, but instead of head pains its this precistant foggy sensation. cant keep down even water, that comes back up. you get some memory of the night but its all foggy with large gaps. a lot of it i have no recollection of.

i felt burning hot the next day but would shiver, then a few hours it would switch and i would be sweating and freezing. when i tried to sleep i would have night terrors. they had a nice mix of relieving bad experience, but their where some for me where the situation got exaggerated worse or had ended better in real life then in the terror.

the next few days where better but i had an incress in night terrors then normal and still felt of for a week.

PM me if you want more info.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it has nothing to do with alcohol... just with adding 'knock-out drops' to any liquid... could even be added to food, actually... the standard 'mickey' in the old 'noir' fiction days was chloral hydrate... nowadays, could be any number of drugs...

11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If this is the 50s give or take a decade, use "mickey". If it's a more modern era, the term would be "roofie" and the act, "roofied".

The date rape drug is most commonly used in the US is rohypnol. From Google definitions:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  12. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Even in this day and age, in my neck of the woods, it would still be referred to as, 'being slipped a Mickey Finn', or 'slipped a Mickey.' I have never once heard someone say they'd been 'roofied' even when Rohypnol was likely involved.

I don't think it much matters how it is administered, it's the fact that it's done without the victims knowledge.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The term "slipped [someone] a mickey" refers to incapacitating someone via a drug mixed with a beverage, but it definitely has a noir period feel to it. If used by a modern character it could be someone who reads or watches such fiction. That's good characterization. But a modern character without such interests might instead say, "Someone must have dosed me," or "Someone slipped me something."

Michael "Mickey" Finn was a Chicago bartender accused of drugging customers' drinks and robbing them while they were unconscious around the turn of the twentieth century.

14. Alesia

Reading alot of noir period fiction hit the nail on the head. :)

15. BillC

BillC New Member

Down here we refer to it as "drink spiking".

"Club goers should be aware of an increased in incidents of drink spiking, with GHB and amphetamines being used in the most common occurrences"

"Oh man, someone spiked my drink!"

"She spiked his drink, adding two of the small white pills when he was distracted by the girl on stage. He looked back and found her scrolling through the messages on her phone."