1. Sarah's scribbles

Sarah's scribbles Member

Building plot off of ideas

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sarah's scribbles, Aug 30, 2015.

Okay so I'm trying to build a plot, something that is my weakest field for writing. I don't know what to do with the story. it's about a bounty hunting assassin in a cyber punk world. Anyone who would be willing to take some time out to help me would be thanked greatly

2. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

I'd be happy to bounce ideas around with you. What do you know about your MC so far? Tell me about your bounty hunting assassin.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Ok, so you have some cool ideas that intrigues you, but do you have a story? That is something you need to figure out before we can start talking about plot, because the plot is what drives the story from A to B. An idea is not necessarily a story. It can be a setting, s genre, a time or a character. What you need is more specifically a character with a goal. Someone who takes action in order to achieve something. A conflict. An antagonist. Obstacles. Then we can start talking about the actual plot.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Basically, every story boils down to simple arithmetic: "protagonists" (or "actors") + "antagonists" (or "motivations") = "conflict" (or "actions")

*Some people start exclusively with the protagonists and the antagonists, then figure out later what conflicts would result between the two. (P + A = C)

*Some people start exclusively with the protagonists and what they will be doing to solve the conflict, then figure out later what antagonists might be responsible. (C - P = A)

*Some people start exclusively with the antagonists and what conflicts they are responsive for, then figure out what protagonists will solve the conflict. (C - A = P)

*And some people switch back and forth at different times as they flesh out the details. (P + A - C = 0)

You already have a Protagonist, and it sounds like you've been trying to come up with a Conflict that would lead you to an Antagonist (C - P = A). Is also sounds like that hasn't worked very well, so perhaps you could try coming up with an Antagonist that would lead to a Conflict (P + A = C) instead?

Foxe likes this.
  5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I think you miss one important component here. How can the mc have an antagonist without a goal?

6. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't mind trying to help you bounce some ideas around. If you want too.

I recently wrote a story about an assassin myself actualy :D