Tags:
  1. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

Slipping into a different Genre

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by pippin1710, Apr 17, 2008.

hi I have been writing my very first series and I am still in the planning part mostly but something very gradual has started to happen. My novel was a fantasy series and still is but it is starting to become an alternate history also. Im sure this has happened before should I try to focus on one genre or simply "let it be" and see how it plays out?

~ thank you ~

2. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I'd say let it be. Many of the best books fall into more than one genre. Also, if you try to force it into what you think the genre should be you run the risk of turning the story into what you think that genre is, ending up with a cliche book that is just like all of the other books that you based it on.

3. InPieces

InPieces New Member

CDRW has said it all. That's what i think as well. Plan what you want, write what feels right, and if it ends up be a cross-genre (more than one genre), remember multiple genres are better than one if it is done well.

4. Michael Davis

Michael Davis New Member

Every story I write cross genres. I just let it move in its own direction, evolve into all it wants to be. My latest started as a suspense, moved into romance, and crossed into paranormal. I know, a real mix, but the story turned out so darn good, I didn't have the heart to stop it (LOL).

Note that mixed genres are harder to get published. Most pub houses focus in narrow corridors, and like it that way.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't worry about what pigeonhole the story falls into. Concentrate on telling a good story with fascinating characters. If the readers have trouble deciding what genre it falls under, at least they'll be reading =it while they try to categorize it!

6. Vayda

Vayda New Member

I agree with what everyone else has said, and anyway alternate history and fantasy are fairly close. I mean, if you think about it, what are Arthurian legends, or Beowulf? Alternate history? Or just fantasy?