1. Puppet121

Puppet121 New Member

Slow me down.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Puppet121, Oct 10, 2008.

I'm going to think too much about writing; I know I will because I have a very creative mind that can be trained. But, Right now I'm thinking of all the steps that I'm overwhelming myself. Could someone help slow me down by giving me just like a list they use or anything that have to do with organization of writing. I need to do this step by step.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

This is what I go through:
    1. Come up with an idea I think is worth writing about
    2. Create a short outline
    3. Expand on the outline to fill in important scenes/details/descriptions
    4. Read over and edit. If I don't like some of the passages I wrote, I rewrite them.

It also helps to have someone else read it. They may catch something you may have missed.

3. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Try writing an outline; the simple act of writing things down and organizing them into a sequence will help slow you down and assist you in getting your mind ordered.

(I'm not going to be much help, I'm afraid. I tend to do things all slapdash.)

4. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

For some people, the mere act of just starting to write the story is enough. No other sort of "organization" is required. It's not like building a house, where you HAVE to look up professionals, hire them, buy all the right supplies, get the plans laid out, dig a hole, lay the foundation, etc. etc....

You might be one of the people who need to outline, and there's nothing wrong with that--but don't get hung up on the belief that you have to know all the "steps" to something that, in truth, doesn't really have a consistent set of steps that applies to everybody. You really might be overthinking something that requires very little thought at all.

How one approaches the writing process is different for everyone. Some people need organization, but don't feel forced to use it if you don't need it. Maybe you just need to start writing.

And don't let excessive organization keep you from the actual process of writing! Even outliners have to plunge in sometime.

5. Kylie

Kylie New Member

It works differently for everyone, so you're going to have to find out what works best for you. For me, outlines aren't much use. What I write just comes out when I write.

Like tehuti88 said, don't let excessive organization keep your from actually writing! Too many times people get so caught up writing outlines that when it comes to writing the actual story, they no longer think the idea is worth writing.

Since I don't do outlining much, I don't know the exact process, but I think thirdwind has given a good idea of what that looks like.

6. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

I was going to say, I don't need outlines because I let the flow of my character's lives control it all, but each of us is different. If it will slow you down, then by all means use a outline.

7. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

Maybe try writing by subtraction.

One of Professors once gave us the assignment to write for 30 min about anything (stream of conscious). Then delete as much as we wanted to create a story from the original block.

This way you can get everything out without the pressure of having to keep it.
    It might help in your case.

8. Puppet121

Puppet121 New Member

I think this will be my style. Because I think A LOT. So instead of trying to limit myself I will just write everything. Whenever I think of something about a story, theme, plot, character, setting, etc. I'll write it. Then there I go! :D

I changed my mind. I'm going to start off slow by trying to sharpen my writing in the RPG section then move onto something harder and harder. I've already thought of my character I'm about to send to on of the RP creators.

9. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I'd start just by forming a plot. You don't have to go extreme and write a massive, 40-page summary or anything. A few pages with the basic details will do. As you begin the actual writing process, you can expand upon the ideas as you go. It may vary, but this is the way I do it. You can just start and write every idea that pops into your head without any planning and see how it fits together, or go and write a long summary. Its really up to you.

10. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I come up with an idea then I see certain images in my head that I want to put on paper.

I imagine the climax some point in the middle and then the end. This way i let the deciscions of the characters get them where I want them to be.

I try to go for more character driven stories. If my characters did not have there own mind they would never save the world, or they may choose not to save the world at all.

11. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Don't procrastinate by dithering over which way to write. Just write whatever comes to mind. As you do, your creative juices will begin to flow and ideas will come to you. Keep a notebook handy at all times to jot ideas down and don't be afraid to make mistakes, they're brilliant things to learn from. If ideas for characters come to you, put them into dynamic situations where you'll be able to discover what they're about. You might even develop an interesting premise this way. The main thing though is to get in there and begin the process. Don't dither!:)