Tags:
  1. Oyster Man

Oyster Man New Member

Infection

Discussion in 'Research' started by Oyster Man, Jun 5, 2010.

Dear WritingForums,

Hello, I'm a bit new to writing, so I figured joining this site would help with that. You see, I'm having trouble with a section in the book I'm writing.

It's about an alien parasite that takes control of it's hosts. Its made up of thousands of little spores that burrow into your skin and insert themselves into your muscular and nervous system, putting you into a coma. The parasite, refereed to as a mold, have a hive mind, and can form in giant masses. The book is being written in a third person limited omniscient view.

Now, I'm trying to write this scene with a person (actually an alien, but that'd be giving away plot details) getting infected, but remaining conscious through it. I don't know if I want it to be from his point of view, or the parasites. I'm also having trouble just describing the process, and how it feels.

The parasite, which isn't much bigger than a flake of dust has to dig through the body, which is very very painful. From there it gains control of the body, and then the mind. The person being infected is a little different from others, and because of that he remains very aware as to what is happening.

All help is greatly appreciated, and sorry if this is a little hard to understand. I will try and clarify if needed.

2. Norm

Norm New Member

Why don't you start it from the Alien's POV and gradually move to the parasite's POV as the infection grows more and more dominant?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That sounds confusing to the reader. It suggest a third person limited POV, but rely on showing the character's behavior rather than indulging in he thought and he felt.

4. Oyster Man

Oyster Man New Member

Alright, thanks.
    I'll give it a go and put my result up here.

Also, I really gotta admire the fast results. I think I'm gonna like it here.

5. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Sounds like you already described most of it. You said it's painful so go from there. Ever encountered fire ants? I'd imagine it'd feel something like that pain but much deeper.

Also describe what it feels like to have this thing taking over your character. What if feels like to have that loss of control and be totally aware of it. Try to imagine what it would feel like to be totally out of control of all your actions. Depending on what POV you go with describe what the character is experiencing with having a front row seat to how a hive mind operates.

6. Shinn

Shinn Banned

I think a first person view about what the alien is thinking and feeling would be perfect for this section of your book.

7. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

A mix between The Ulisses and The Invincible?

I wouldn't suggest doing that in first person, but I'd definitely do it that way.

I'd love to describe the thoughts, the pain, the sudden fear of losing the mind to an alien hive, the acceptance of such destiny, the rationalization. Then, the horror of understanding it's the hive which is rationalizing, and not the own mind.
    Trying to scream, trying to cry and not finding any reason to do so. Recovering breath and pulse, letting go of the knife and not wanting to remember why was it picked up. Setting the tie knot while the shame for having lost self control is quickly discarded as a useless social emotion.

8. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie New Member

I think I would start with little things, like food losing it's taste, insomnia, constantly feeling tired for no apparent reason....
    It will build some tension. After that, you can proceed with the more spectacular and disturbing things as mentioned above :p

btw, this sounds quitte interesting... are you sure it's only going to be one scene? I think it could easily cover an entire chapter :p