1. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Smelling Salts & Screen Fatigue

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Jhunter, Dec 20, 2014.

Has anyone tried using smelling salts after getting eyeball strain and general fatigue from the computer screen?

I know it will jump start you for a couple minutes, but I was wondering if I'd go right back to being fatigued after the initial burst, or if it will have some long lasting effect?

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

I've only experimented with smelling salts once, and it was more then enough for me. I would describe it like being stabbed in the brain with an ice pick. But after the initial (and visceral) response there is no increase in energy or vigor. Your body thinks it's about to be poisoned and responds. After a tiny shot of adrenaline you are entirely on your own.

And none of that is going to have any affect on the eyestrain.

Stick to clear-eyes and Red Bull.

3. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

Take a break.

4. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

My husband was a journalist, and their union made the company he worked for allow their onscreen employees to take a 'screen break' every half hour. A screen break of 10 minutes. That is not excessive.

5. SwampDog

SwampDog Contributing Member

When the Irishman was asked why he kept banging his head on the wall, he said because it'll be nice when he stopped.

So stop. Get away from the screen. It's hard, but twenty minutes is enough, then have a few minute's break.

Oh, but you want to keep writing? Practice your longhand. Or re-focus your eyes on the horizon, across landscapes. Or simply close them and imagine the next scene.

Either way, get away from the keyboard and screen.

6. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

The long term effects of constant sitting go far beyond tired eyes, which usually take care themselves with rest.

7. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

Time is the only thing that will help.

A nap works well for some people although, alas, I am not one of those. Turning down the brightness on your monitor makes a big difference in eyestrain. Also "computer glasses" help, if you wear reading glasses.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

First time through, I read..."get away from the keyboard and scream"...and thought, that sounds like a really good idea!

There's research into studying that reckons that twenty minutes is optimum, you won't learn any more after this time. Take five, go and do something different (even if it's only playing solitaire), then come back for another twenty minutes. Repeat. I suspect that writing is similar.