1. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Time of Inspiration?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by live2write, May 8, 2012.

Are you night writers or day writers??

Where do you prefer to write and what is your writing comfort zone like?

What is funny is I prefer to write when there are people around me being productive or in the middle of the night when it is quiet and everybody is asleep. I find I cannot write on paper anymore because I look at what I write rather than when typing it is more automatic.

2. bakalove

bakalove New Member

i prefer paper and i like to write during school xD

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

There are a number of threads on this topic already.
    Anyway, I write best at home, but day or night doesn't matter anymore.

4. killbill

killbill Member

When an idea struck me I obsessively think about it and every bid of paper I could get hold of becomes my writing pad, and it doesn't matter where I am, day or night. But I usually piece my story together when I am at work (one advantage of being my own boss) and at night when everybody is asleep.

5. timothyjoel

timothyjoel New Member

I find it easier to write at night, usually quite late. I only ever type when I'm writing, I find typing far easier than using pen and paper.

6. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

I write best in the morning when my brain is fresh and rested but when an idea hits escpecially if I've been puzzling out an issue in a story then it doesn't matter where I am or the time or day or night.

7. Erato

Erato New Member

I write whenever I have time to write.

8. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson New Member

Pretty much later in the day, evening or night time. I definitely type on the computer though. Much faster, I don't want to inhibit the flow of ideas by trying to write by hand.

9. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I write during the day/evening, but my mind usually comes up with twists at night when I am away from the computer. :p

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I'm learning that the key to being productive is "me."

Last night the house was quiet, I had a fresh pot of coffee, I had a chapter to finish and polish and the wheels simply came off the wagon. I couldn't do a thing to save my life. I started wasting time.

It was like having a brand new 'Vette and no gas.

It wasn't even being tired, I was just 'at a loss.' I guess you have to give yourself permission for a lapse of creativity. I was useless to my story, I didn't want to write, I wanted it to be 80 degrees and sunny.

Ya' know, old guys want to skip school, too.

11. MissRis

MissRis New Member

I have to write during the day (right now I have that privilege). If I write too late at night, I'll either stay up all night or when I finally go to bed I can't sleep because the wheels are spinning too fast.

Sometimes ideas just need to "percolate" at a subconscious level until they come to you at a conscious one. If you stare at the computer screen too long, you'll just make yourself 'crazy'.

12. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

In bed when I'm trying to fall asleep. Time and time again, my brain forces me to chose between writing and sleep, and I chose writing every time. My guess is it's the lack of distractions, plus sleepiness lowers your inhibitions and makes you more creative. And by now it's gotten ingrained as a routine.

I mostly cope by trying to go to bed sooner so I still fall asleep at a decent time.

13. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Oddly enough, that's when I write. Either in the middle of everything going on, TV, conversations etc or late at night when nothing is moving. Even the dogs and cat have decided it's bed time.

I prefer paper and not the computer. I've got little writing journals and table of contents in the back of it, just stop a story and pick up another one. But I prefer it because it slows me down. Typing, I've been typing for so long and so fast that I can definitely keep up with my thoughts and out run them, even. Though, handwriting it is slower and I'm usually quite a few paragraphs ahead in my head than what I'm writing, I have to slow down and think about things.

I do this regularly. Just stop for a time period because nothing's working, give it time and pick it up later when it no longer seems like a chore.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a 'whenever' writer... doesn't matter to me what time or day it is, or where i am... whenever i have something form itself in my mind that's worth setting down, i do it...

15. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I hate to be a fanatic on the use of the English language, but technically you should have said, "You'll just make yourself 'crazier'..."

As you know, I'm crazy just snoozing in a chair. ;)

16. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Day. Night. Whenever is fine. I do have a particular preference for 12am~3am but it doesn't fit well with my schedule anymore. I only stay up that late these days when I've been out clubbing. In the past I've been known to write at every hour on the clock but since then I've realised how important going to sleep at a regular time is.

My favourite place to write is the armchair in my parent's lounge. Most of the time I write at the nearest available surface.

17. Blue Stasz

Blue Stasz New Member

Time of inspiration and time of writing are two different pairs of shoes for me. Inspiration can strike me anytime - when I'm in the shower or driving home or gardening - preferred! Usually I start writing something in my head. For the actual writing I use my computer/s - desktop and netbook - I can't imagine to go back to paper and pencil. I prefer evenings and weekends for writing, but short pieces for my blog and such I sometimes write at work during my break. Friday and Saturday nights I can be quite a night owl but long writing sessions during the week collide with my working schedule. As for the place - I prefer to work in my home office. Last year I completely renovated my office and re-arranged the furniture and that works very well now. And maybe this has something to do with my German genes - but my office and desk must be clean and tidy, otherwise I can't work.

18. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I like both times of the day. But I really only get time during the evening so 'afternoon' writing isn't much of an option.

In my room, because that's where my computer is with all the files xD Nice instrumental music in the background, calm environment with not much noise. Maybe some food or drink on the side...

Well, as for my time of inspiration, that could be any time. From when I'm taking a shower, to when I'm dreaming or sleeping and even procrastinating in my lessons. Inspiration these days just seems to hit me randomly. It hits me a lot after I finish reading a book that's really impacted on me :D