1. Sniam

Sniam Member

Sniam's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Sniam, Jul 27, 2016.

I want to write. So, I'm going to post a progress journal to force me into giving (more or less) regular updates. I know how effective the shame of being unproductive can be on me :D

Here is a list of on-going works I'd like to finish :
    - Arthur the Fifth, horror and psychological short story (1514 words for now). First draft is on the website, but I was told it was more like the beginning of a short story than a short story on its own, so I have to write what happens next, basically ! And of course, correct everything which was pointed out.
    - Untitled work, historical fiction in Middle-Age Norway. The story focuses on how a young boy grows with a strange power : he can see Shadows, etheral being that look like dark veils and float around. Spooky. I have pretty much the outline for the first part (6 chapters) and I'm about 2000 words in. When I say outline, it's actual written words with what is supposed to happen and all the questions I have to answer before writing something that'll seem plausible and historically accurate.

I'll add, edit, or cross things when things will move on.
    Wish me luck on this :blowkiss:

2. Sniam

Sniam Member

Update (01/08/16) :
    - Arthur the Fifth : thanks to some new advice (thanks!), I managed to "clean" the beginning and continue the story. It's now around 2.400 words. I have some motivation problems because I only write at night (9pm - 1 am) and I'm trying not to panick given the nature of the story. Gosh, sometimes, I could hit myself for having such stupid ideas.
    - Untitled work : I finished the first chapter and I'm 4 paragraphs in the second one. Around 2850 words.
    Also, I've found a website with interesting informations on how the vikings used to build their boats. I was looking for which material a rope would be made of. http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en/professions/boatyard/experimental-archaeological-research/maritime-crafts/maritime-technology/

3. Sniam

Sniam Member

Update (14/08/16) :
    - Arthur the Fifth : I'm still not decided on the way it should end, I have many ideas that could fit the atmosphere... I'm still not sure that making the protagonist die is the best climax for an horror story, it seems too easy. I'm thinking maybe mental hospital for the poor soul.
    - Untitled work : Continuing the second chapter, 3 300 words. I think I'm writing very slowly, and I find myself confronted with lexical problems as my vocabular is still limited in English. Of course, I can search on the (glorious) internet, but that kind of slows me down each time.

4. Sniam

Sniam Member

Update (28/08/2016) :
    - Arthur the Fifth : I've written everything to the point of where I must make a choice that I don't want to make quite yet. 2 300 words, should be around 3 000 when completed.
    - Untitled work : Second chapter will soon end, 5 128 words for now. I feel like I could use more descriptions to give a better pace to the whole thing... It really goes from action to action with close to no description. Adding descriptions could help with slowing down the whole thing - but I don't want to get boring either, I like when things happen.

5. Sniam

Sniam Member

Update (15/10/2016):
    Lots of things happened, preventing me from actual writing. Had to move countries to study, administrative problems and so on.
    - Arthur the Fifth : I've had time to think about it and came up with a very exciting option of endless loop of despair. Difficult to write, but I'll manage.
    - Untitled work : Finished chapter two, 6145 words. I didn't add any descriptions in the end, I just want to get everything written down and then I'll go over it.