1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

So, I'm looking at schools.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferret, Oct 25, 2008.

Now, I know I want to major in creative writing, so that I can be either a novelist or a screenwriter or possibly a game designer (Chris Avellone has an English degree). In addition to that, I'd also like to take some courses in philosophy to help with the ladies--I mean pay the bills.

Really, though, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of any U.S. schools that offer a bachelors in creative writing that they would recommend.

Right now, I'm looking at Knox College, if I can foot the bill.

2. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Where do you live?

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

That would make sense.
    Arizona, not that I particularly care if I go out of state.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since you want to add film and video to your possibles, it would probably be wise to check out schools in socal, where you'd be most likely to find the best courses and teachers...

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

University of Arizona has a good creative writing program. It says on their site that it's ranked among the top 5 creative writing programs in the nation. That might be a good place to try since you live in Arizona.

6. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

If you have friends (sort of sounds like you don't, but just saying IF)--go to school where your friends go to school. It's oh so much more fun that way.

I hope this was helpful. yours in Chaos, Scarlett

7. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

8. Emerald

Emerald New Member

That's exactly what you shouldn't do. Worry about your education first, it can play a big part in your future. You can always make new friends -- especially in university.

Also -- and keep in mind this is just a personal opinion -- Creative Writing degrees don't necessarily lead to a creative writing job. Likewise, you don't need a creative writing degree to get in to creative writing. It'll no doubt help, but an engineering student has an equal chance of getting published if he's just as good a writer as you; the only difference is that you might end up being more connected to the literary scene (and he has other qualifications to fall back on if it doesn't work out).

However, if it's something you really enjoy above all else, go for it. You can always do a postgraduate in something else if it doesn't work out...

9. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

In my experience it would probably be more beneficial to pick out a major that would benefit a more stable career than one of creative writing (or anything involving arts really). I'm not saying you shouldn't look into a school with a strong creative writing program or get involved with it (maybe double major or minor in creative writing). I think it would be more realistic to ground yourself in something more stable.

Besides, you don't really need to go to a creative writing class to be a great author. Creative writing is one of those skills that takes talent, dedication, and perseverance. It generally isn't something you learn in a class (though I won't say it doesn't help).

Best of luck to you!

10. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Jinx! Now you can't talk until someone says your name three times. And if you talk I get to hit you without retaliation. No backsies!

11. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

You might look into University of Washington/Seattle for creative writing (among the top 10 in the country)--however, it's not realistic to expect that by getting a degree in writing you'll be able to become a novelist. I think becoming a writer involves you reading & writing a lot, and then having that additional special ingredient--natural talent--that causes people to love the tales you tell. write.

For game designing, you might look at DigiPen in Redmond, WA.

12. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Almost every creative writing major out there seems to be an English degree with some creative writing thrown on top.

Anyway, I'd like to be a screenwriter and write novels on the side--just like everybody else. Or maybe even work for a network as a staff writer. Then again, there are companies like Obsidian, where the writers practically make the game.

It's not that I don't feel that I haven't the skills; I just lack legitimacy. Getting a degree in the area just "helps get your foot in the door", gives people a reason to contract you.

Oh, and not that it matters, but I do plan on either minoring or dual majoring in philosophy so that I can make my time in college that much harder to use.

13. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

Wow... that was your 666th post.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry to disillusion you, but that's not true in the realm of writing for a living, regardless of the medium... not even in screenwriting, although a major in filmmaking could be helpful in giving you an overview of the industry and a chance to make the requisite contacts...

as a writer, degrees mean nothing and only what you write will impress anyone [or not]...