1. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

So long, Christopher Hitchens

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bob Magness, Dec 17, 2011.

This is a forum of writers so I feel it is appropriate to bring up that Christopher Hitchens has passed away. He was a brilliant writer who wrote about politics, war and religion. He was also one of the best debaters I have ever seen, who could deal "lethal" blows with a turn of a phrase.

I agreed with most of what he said about religion. And I disagreed with most of what he said about politics. But even when I disagreed with him, the brilliance with which he formulated his arguments forced me to think long and hard about my own beliefs and positions.

He made me think. For that I will always remember him.

2. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

A rare voice of reason, definitely. I hope someone fills the breach!

3. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

It's strange, I was just thinking about Christopher Hitchens and was wondering if he was still alive or not before I logged onto this forum. I knew he was sick with cancer or something, and it was just a passing random thought I had, like "what's Chris Hitchen's health like now, I wonder if he is still around?". I mean, I hardly think about the guy generally, but for some reason I just had a feeling about Hitchens. Then I clicked onto the lounge section of this forum, and here was this thread bearing the sad news here. I don't know if this was just a coincidence or what. How strange.

Anyway, he seemed like a good guy. I hope his family is doing well or as well as can be, under the present circumstances.

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I didn't realise he'd actually died until this evening. I'll have to reread some of his work now. He was a great writer.

[​IMG]
    'nuff said.

5. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

I can take a wild stab at what he would have to say about that!

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

So long Hitch. The world has lost a good man.

7. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

A great man, it will be hard for anyone to take his place.

R.I.P Chrisopher 'Hitchslap' Hitchens

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Farewell, Mr Hitchens. And thanks for wit and wisdom you left us.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

He was brilliant. Not just a terrific writer, but a great extemporaneous speaker, quite capable of rolling cogent but beautiful and witty sentences off his tongue on a huge variety of subjects in response to interviewers' questions. That's why he was such a deadly debater - no opponent could keep up with his verbal skills. He somehow managed to come across as not merely acutely intelligent, but also as an authority on whatever subject was being discussed. A debater up against him must have felt like a goat being locked in a cage with a lion.

His was such a strong voice, and will be missed.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

He reminded me of William F. Buckley in that regard. Not in viewpoint, but in style, and in command of the language and an acerbic wit that was ready to be deployed at a moment's notice. A lot of fun to read Hitchens, and to list to him talk.

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've read maybe 3 of Hitchen's books and I just don't feel that's enough. His style is so effortless, and flows so nicely, his wit so sharp that it was always a joy to read him.

12. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

“The clear awareness of having been born into a losing struggle need not lead one into despair. I do not especially like the idea that one day I shall be tapped on the shoulder and informed, not that the party is over but that it is most assuredly going on—only henceforth in my absence. (It's the second of those thoughts: the edition of the newspaper that will come out on the day after I have gone, that is the more distressing.) Much more horrible, though, would be the announcement that the party was continuing forever, and that I was forbidden to leave. Whether it was a hellishly bad party or a party that was perfectly heavenly in every respect, the moment that it became eternal and compulsory would be the precise moment that it began to pall.”

Never the less, the party's gone a bit more quiet and dull. He shall be missed.

13. Fatmatt

Fatmatt Member

Now more than ever I hope there really is a God.

I have this wonderful image of God cowering in a corner of heaven with Hitchens stood over him delivering the ultimate "Hitchslap."