Tags:
  1. XLadyX

XLadyX Banned

So many projects I've started not one finished.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by XLadyX, Nov 8, 2014.

My problem is that I'll have one idea, stick with it, then come up with another idea and start a draft. I keep starting drafts and never finishing one thing so I never get anything fully published. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you find a solution to it? I'm thinking about publishing two full books when I'm complete with them so if people were interested in my first book, they can download my second one instead of waiting around for a long time for a second one to be finished next year. Most of my stuff comes from non-fiction events. I don't know what I'm going to do when I run out of eventful things from my life, Lol!

People tell me whenever I tell them what happened in my life I've got some good stories so I decided to create my events into fiction/non-fiction stories.

Do you publish one story at a time or have you published multiple stories at once, full novels, not just short stories?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

A lot of writers work on multiple projects at the same time. So you don't have to worry about that part. But you do need to worry about not finishing your work. What exactly is preventing you from finishing? Do you lose interest in your work after some time?

3. XLadyX

XLadyX Banned

I don't really lose interest, I just come up with more ideas so I still have something to write about after I finish one project. The ideas are just all stuck in my head. I know how I want plots to be but I just can't fully type everything out. :/

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I would suggest you stop worrying about publishing two books and concentrate on finishing one. When you get a new idea, jot it down on a card or in a file and go back to the original story. Do not start a new project until you have finished at least one old one. Until you develop the discipline to finish (and no one can do that for you), being published at all is just a pipe dream. That's the harsh reality of any creative endeavor. You don't get the rewards until you do the work.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Maybe you need to start small. Instead of writing novels, why not write short stories? They might be easier for you to finish. Besides, a lot of novelists started out writing stories, so it's a very natural path to take.

tonguetied and XLadyX like this.
  6. XLadyX

XLadyX Banned

I think that was my original issues. All my things did used to be short stories now I'm concerned about the length, lol. People wanted me to write more but I could never write a proper book because chapters always ended up being too short.

I think I'm going to focus on my autobiographical project first to let people know what's the 411 with a new writer then I'll publish my romance novel which is almost finished. I heard usually people say someone shouldn't write an autobiography unless something extremely significant has happened, like after someone has finished all their accomplishments but I don't know. I feel like I need to write an autobiography first so people won't misunderstand me or misinterpret me anymore. Some people who review my things don't thoroughly read my writings and it's been irritating me when they leave a bad review because they misread me when I thought I had explained myself clear.

7. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributing Member Contributor

You didn't mention how long you have been doing this, that is when did you start your first unfinished work? I also am curious about your jump from "first?" draft to published, there is a lot of work between those two steps. I agree in large part with shadowwalker on getting one project finished before delving in to another, however getting a lot of the details down of another story you want to write while it is fresh in your mind seems very good, if that is what you mean by draft. Maybe you need to review what you have drafted and pick one story that you feel you have the best chance of working towards your goal, it might not be your first planned novel, nothing wrong with prequels and sequels in my opinion.

8. XLadyX

XLadyX Banned

I started writing my romance novel since January so for about 11+ months now. I've just got to change a few more things then I can publish it but at the same time, I have been wanting to get a full autobiography of myself out there, too. That's what I've been doing whenever I have ideas, I write out drafts so I don't forget the ideas to see where I want to go with it then I'm lost and don't know which project to finish first.

9. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributing Member Contributor

That is not a lot of time to finish a novel so you maybe overthinking this concern. You still seem to think the route to publishing is a quick step and I don't believe that will be the case although I have not really checked into that area. Even self publishing has issues to deal with from the snippets I have seen on this forum. Now I agree more with Shadowwalker, pick a story and focus on it, that experience might help you see the bigger picture of novel production. Unless you are extremely gifted, going from a detailed notes draft to a polished work is a large effort.

10. shadowwalker

One can write an autobiography for whatever reason and whenever they choose. However, you have to consider why someone would pick it up and read it, and frankly, I wouldn't read an AB just to make sense of the author's other writing. If a significant number of readers aren't getting your writing, the fault is not with the reader, and no amount of extraneous writing about you is going to change that. They're not misreading - you're 'mis-writing'.

EdFromNY and BayView like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

Other people have commented on why people probably won't read an autobiography that is merely to explain your writing, and it's been suggested that you should probably write more clearly in the first place.

Now, to put "writing clearly" into perspective, I had to Google "411".

I found out that it's an English girl-band from 2003.
    I found out that it's directory enquiries in Canada and the USA.
    And finally I found that it's urban slang for information.

Some time ago, I decided to improve my French, so I borrowed a library book in French, and proceeded to read it, checking usually one word per sentence in the dictionary. I was prepared to do this since this was a foreign language that I wanted to master. I wouldn't be so understanding about a book in the English language that required me to look up a significant number of words, especially if I had any qualms about how interesting it was to read.

I won't perceive bad writing as good writing simply because I now understand what a rubbish life the author has had.

12. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

There are a handful of writers whose personal lives I have learned something about - primarily Charles Dickens, Ernest Hemingway, C.P. Snow, Elie Weisel, Edgar Allen Poe, Mark Twain, James A. Michener. My interest in their personal lives stemmed by my love of their writings, not the other way around. In my current project, a portion of one of the subplots has been informed by some of my personal experiences. It's not necessary for the reader to know that, and in fact it isn't even helpful. The story either will stand on its own or not.

An oft-quoted maxim for the aspiring writer is that the first million words are practice. In some cases, that may be an understatement, depending on how rigorous the writer is in learning the craft. It's wonderful to have the goal of being published. It's my goal, and has been for over three decades. But my advice would be to focus on what you need to do in order to realize it, rather than planning specific works and volumes.

Best of luck.

peachalulu and XLadyX like this.
  13. XLadyX

XLadyX Banned

It isn't a number of readers, only one or two individuals who constantly harass me as if they are ten thousand readers, though. Luckily most people interpret my writing correctly. Had it been the other way around I would agree, but it's only one or two people who hate me so annoyingly that I'm thinking I should just ignore it.

14. XLadyX

XLadyX Banned

Well in my autobiography I'm going to theme it as overcoming my bullies and obstacles to live a better life. It's not just a rant about all my failures and accomplishments, but how I grew as a person. I had made a free sample on combating bullies to see if people would want to read it on Smash Words and it got 116 downloads within a week or so which makes me believe they'd want to read my full autobiography. In fact, that was the reviewer's complaint how my original test autobiography was only four pages.

Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate it. I'm definitely going to focus on one project now have been writing more words.

peachalulu likes this.
  15. shadowwalker

Yes, ignore them. They aren't going to read your AB anyway.

16. XLadyX

XLadyX Banned

Hopefully they won't read it and will let people who are interested in it read it. I'm also writing my AB toward people who have a hard time dealing with bullies hopefully influencing them to ignore them, too. I've read about a lot of young teens who turned to suicide and things like that and am wanting to let people now that no one is worth that, especially hate-filled people to end someone's life over.

17. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Dude, writing an entire autobiography as a come-back doesn't really count as "ignoring" the bullies.

If you can let this go, I think you'll end up happier than if you keep picking at it.

shadowwalker and tonguetied like this.
  18. XLadyX

XLadyX Banned

It's part comeback, but more directed toward people with the same issues as me. I just read an article where a boy was about to bomb and shoot up his school because he was bullied so bad and the officials would do nothing to help him. I'm also reaching out to those who think violence is the answer when it isn't. I got through it and so can they.

19. Inkwell1

Inkwell1 Active Member

I have the same exact issue, and my advice would be to simply write down the idea you have just come up with and dedicate a page to it and to fill in what you plan to do, the characters, etc. (Highly sophisticated advice, I know :)

XLadyX likes this.