1. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

Need BF Help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KhalieLa, Feb 28, 2017.

My BF is a retired English teacher, poet, and playwright. I think his love language is gifts because he often gives me gifts (like at least once a week), wine, chocolate, poetry, etc., but for Valentines he gave me Wicked, which was awesome and I've nearly finished the book already.

I'm not much of a gift-giver. He has a journal and writes in it every day, so for Christmas I gave him a nice leather journal and he loved it. His birthday is in March and I'm stumped. In addition to writing he also plays tennis and spends a lot of time playing with his dogs. I get the feeling he likes music and movies (he loved Lala Land) but I don't have TV and live a mostly silent existence. He's also a news junkie.

What is an appropriate gift for this man?

2. No Heart

No Heart Member

Perhaps start writing a sort of journal/book of your own containing special memories, moments, thoughts, poetry, etc. that you find meaningful and think he'd appreciate as well. Work at it little by little everyday and you should have something nice by the time his birthday comes (or it is not complete by then, you can always start now and continue working on it for another special occasion).

Lifeline likes this.
  3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

A nice pen to go with the journal that he uses every day?

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Book(s) of poetry from his favourite poet(s)

KhalieLa likes this.
  5. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

I was going to say a signed copy of one of his favorite author's books... that might be a bit too big of a gift though.

If he has any modern authors that he really likes, find their contact information and tell them a bit about yourself/ your boyfriend, and how you wanted to find something he would really love, and how much you would appreciate a signed copy of one of their books to give to him.

It's worth a shot, and if you receive one after the date, you can save it til' the next year/holiday.

KhalieLa likes this.
  6. KhalieLa

He's Native American and really likes Sherman Alexi. I bet I could swing this!
    ETA: I just checked and he has a new book of poems out. You guys are awesome. Thanks!

7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I wouldn't get him anything from his 'scene.'

Buy him 'female' presents. Men like that - the stuff they would not buy for themselves: two new tops, some trousers, smellies, socks, maybe a trashy and middle-brow paperback he'd be too self-conscious to buy himself - title '100 Great Wars,' or 'Funny Politicians' [or 'Inside America' by 'An American,' I love those] kind of thing

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. KhalieLa

Well, you've gone a ruined a good idea.

By female presents, I thought you were referencing sexy nighties. No doubt, he'd enjoy those, LOL. He could probably use new trousers, but I have no idea what his waste and inseam is. This gift giving bit is far to complicated.

9. matwoolf

You could do just as you originally planned.

But he might get a lot of pleasure, you getting him domestic stuff...by all means, buy the knickers and tassels - but don't present them straight to him [in the box]

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

He gives you gifts once a week? If he wants a boyfriend, let me know. :p

In all seriousness, I agree with the others that a book would be a great gift. Try a used bookstore. They have amazing books for cheap prices, and as a plus, you're also supporting a local business. Or you could buy a couple's spa package or something fun like that.

11. KhalieLa

I'm afraid he doesn't swing that way, and if he did, my son has already called dibs. He said he want's someone to bring him a book and a bottle of wine, too.

I did hot pink thigh-highs and matching gloves for Valentines, wore them under my work clothes. I had a meeting that night, so we couldn't do dinner. I suggested lunch instead, then surprised him by heading back to his place for a quick romp. Men are easy that way . . . they always like sex. Gifts are harder to figure out.

12. matwoolf

Jeesus @Khalie, and I spent the day with farmers - give him a blow job, or a candle up your ass, swivel round once he's 'blown the candle,' a play on words, you can do it.

apols

Cave Troll and 123456789 like this.
  13. M.S.H.

M.S.H. New Member

Happy early birthday to him. I'm big into research then decisions. You gave a lot to go with.
    The list you gave us:
    1. He is what:
    • A retired English teacher
    • poet
    • playwrite
    • Love Language: Gifts
    1. What he likes:
    • Writing in his journal
    • Plays tennis
    • Spends a lot of time playing with his dogs
    • News
    1. What you feel he likes: music and movies "he loved Lala Land
    2. But what is your love language and does he know it?
    You show your love differently. Giving gifts is perfect, especially if your LL is Gift Giving. But you said, "I'm not much of a gift-giver." Giving a gift would be much harder for you, as it is for me. My LL's are in order: Physical touch, words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service, and gift giving. Of course, gift giving is traditionally the way to go, it may not be your way. It may mean a lot to him if you show him your love language.
    But if you still want to give a gift then maybe he needs new shoes for tennis, or new tennis balls. Maybe he and the dogs would love a new toy(s). News...well...i don't know. My dad is a news man (right leaning) and so I get him republican stuff sometimes. You know your BF more than any of us, but I hope we helped.​

14. M.S.H.

M.S.H. New Member

Again, I hope we all were able to help and a big Happy Birthday to him!
    :cheerleader:

15. KhalieLa

Yeah, but I hate shopping, so I want to know exactly what I'm after ahead of time. I won't browse.
    If it were my birthday, I'm be up for a hike, a picnic, a little skinny dipping, and some outdoor nookie, no gifts required. But I have a summer birthday and his love language is gifts. Gift giving is difficult for an economist who hates spending money and doesn't like to shop.

16. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

How long you've been dating? If not long, you could give him a stone and say your grandfather brought it home with him from the war, and he'd melt.

If long, food and sex is all a tired man can really hope for.

matwoolf, KhalieLa and No Heart like this.
  17. M.S.H.

M.S.H. New Member

I'd have to say, just by giving that description, your LL might be quality time. Maybe you can surprise him with a romantic movie night. It will be work, but you can rent a movie he hasn't seen and cuddle. :friend:You can make it a big surprise by having a backyard theater, a movie fort or something. Just an idea. (It's something I desire to do with my future forever)
    :pop:best of luck!

18. M.S.H.

M.S.H. New Member

http://www.5lovelanguages.com/profile/
    If you don't know your love language, but want to find out. Try the link.

19. KhalieLa

Not long; about 6 months, but I don't think a rock will cut it. He spent significant time stationed overseas in his youth so he's seen plenty of foreign rocks. (Besides given the current president, I might be investigated for harboring terrorist terre.)

20. Centauri Rose

Centauri Rose New Member

Get him some really fancy stationary. It's really nice on the fingertips.