1. Darthgumby

Darthgumby New Member

About You

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darthgumby, Jun 30, 2008.

So, i've been a member for a little while now, i've gotten to see a lot of the regulars online and some of the new members. I know a little about everyone, but i really don't know much about anyone. So i would like to take the opportunity to tell a little more about myself, and everyone else can also take this chance to describe themselves briefly. I feel like we would all get to know each other better if we could go a little beyond just the new member introduction.

So anyway my name is Andrew. I am 21 years old. I live with my older brother in a two bedroom apartment, and i love a girl i can't have. I have been a member for a couple weeks now, but just started posting these last couple of days. I am not a very well established writer. I am a thinker though, my main problem is that i have a hard time getting my thoughts down on paper in time before they get away from me. I have a short attention span, and i probably won't be found reading or reviewing anything too long unless someone really wants me to.

I enjoy television and movies more than i do books. I play a lot of video games, mostly RPGs. My taste in media includes comedy, drama, romance, and science fiction. I enjoy rock music and jazz. Half of the time i am very serious and passionate about what i have on my mind, and the other half of the time i am just goofy carefree. I enjoy working on computers in my free time, i try to keep up on all the latest technology. I like going for walks and of course i like writing.

That is all i have for now. I hope some of you will find me interesting and be able to relate to me more now that you know more about me. I look forward to hearing more about you all as well.

2. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Oh yay! someone finally did this cuz i never posted an introduction thing. oops.

well...I'm fourteen years old. I live with my family in a house on a hill. I'm a very empathetic person. I have been doing little bits of writing ever since I was little, but never very seriously except for the past year or two. I am a christian, but I doubt a lot. I have a lot of pet peeves, and I don't believe in promises, so I guess you could say I don't trust people...which is probably true.

Also, I firmly believe that Oprah is the antichrist.

3. MarcG

MarcG New Member

I'm Marc. I live in a house. There are fish tanks, cats, and other people in this house. Note how the people come last. ;)

I've been writing off and on for like...I have no idea. I don't keep track of things like that. Been reading "dah big books" since 2nd grade, when the box set of VHS tapes at Christmas turned out to be the Lord of the Rings books. I work in a pet store, 70+ hours a week to pay for college. Hence me being around all of...not much.

4. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Mah name's Doug, and I'm 16. I love living in Arizona in the wonderful deserty dry-heat. I've been writing stories since I was young, and been trying to write a novel off and on for 2 years but can never finish any of them. My true passion is film-making and in the name of shameless self-promotion will hint that if you type youtube.com and then put a /crazedbird you may view videos that were quite possibly made by me... ;)

I also have been playing the bass for a short time (like 10 months) but am really enjoying it and its "perks" if ya know what I mean. ;) (again I wink)

If you haven't noticed, this post probably comes across as overdone and egotistical, but if you get to know me I'd like to say I'm a nice guy. ;) (this wink is for continuity)

5. Klee

Klee New Member

Hmmm...I'm a little shy but I'll give it a try. My name's Alice, I'm 19, I live in Mexico yay~ Mmm, I've been writing since I was about 9 but I've never thought of making a career out of it, I just enjoy it. I draw (I've been told I'm somewhat good but I don't believe it) and I have ten pages done of a comic I'm drawing (and currently re-drawing). That's my dream, to be a comic artist/graphic novelist.

Uh, I used to horse-ride, I have an Akita named Shinn. Mmm, I like videogames but I'm not very good so that's a bad topic for me to talk about. Uh, I don't consider myself particularly pretty but I've been told I am, maybe it's my personality?

6. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Ermm,, okii.

I am Heather, am 15 and a lass (obviously) :p. I have blonde hair, blue eyes, am 5 ft 5 and average body build I guess. I talk reallly loud and fast and too much as the teachers like to mention and I have really long fingers, which I use to attempt to play the piano. I love to read and write, go out with my mates and have a laugh and a drink, and I am such a tele bum it is unreal.

I love Scottish and Irish accents 'cos they are just British Standrard Beef. I want to be a doctor when I am older, but then I also want to write, so I am not sure what I am doing with that, but I have a gew years to figure it out I guess. I love kiddies and go all smiley and stuff whenever I see them, but I really do not want children of my own.

I have just re-read all of that and realises I said nothing even remotly interesting, but they ya go, a few little facts about Heather. :p

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Rentals? ;)

I'm Dave, a 55 year old software engineer, currently working for a company that provides translation services worldwide. I dislike low ceilings and doorways, because they are always trying to take "a little off the top" of my 6'4" frame - and it's not just my brown hair they attack.

In my spare time, whatever that means, I have far too many interests and active projects to do justice to. But I obviously spend a lot of time on this board, and began writing a novel late in 2007. It has a long way to go.

I occasionally indulge in the odd pun. Many of them are extremely odd.

8. Heather Louise

I wish. :p

That surprised me. I had you down as being short. Not sure why. :p

9. Cogito

Maybe you saw me AFTER an encounter with a low doorway :D

10. Heather Louise

Lol, perhaps. :p I wish I was taller, like model tall. and thin. That would be lush. Models can't be short. I don't know why it matters, I don't want to model either way. :p

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Wowzers! What can I tell that I haven’t already….

My name is Reinaldo, a name I always hated because it was so rarely pronounced correctly. In grade school, role call would invariably lead to tittered laughter as my name came around. I grew up as a military kid, lived all over the world, and joined the USAF when I graduated from high school. I was a Russian interpreter in the Air Force.

I love languages! I won’t go too much into that, ‘cause I’ve already taken every opportunity presented to expound on the subject.

I work as a translator here in Puerto Rico where I live with my boyfriend, William.

Oh, and I also super-extra-ultra love Science Fiction. Can’t get enough! And I love fountain pens. I have a huge collection and I taught myself to repair and refurbish them when I worked at an antiques auction house in Central Florida. What I truly love about them is that many pens from the 1930’s were made to such high standards that you would be hard pressed to find collector pens today (new) that have the same precision and style as the vintage items. Very hard pressed indeed.

This is a picture of a late 30's Parker Vacumatic in jade green, striped celluloid:
    [​IMG]

12. Cogito

Nah. Not a happy life, it seems. One news this item morning was about a supermodel in New York City who performed a high dive to the pavement.

You're just fine as you are (but lay off the booze! ;))

13. Heather Louise

I know it sounds ****ty but I buy straight into the celebrity lifestyle. :p

And thanks love. :)

14. zorell

zorell New Member

Well, lesee...

My name is Victoria, wonderful name, if not overly abundant-and I mean it, my step-sister is also Victoria. I've been writing and drawing since I was three. My favorite thing to say about myself is the "I'm an over-achieving procrastinator." I love to cook, knit, read, write, draw, digitally alter, and sculpt- but hey all pale in comparison to being in a lab- I love science. And I am a strong believer in keeping your mouth shut if you have nothing to say. (I'm nice, really, just a bit cynical and sarcastic.)
    In the next ten years, I want you to look for the name "Dr, Wallace, PhD."
    Oh, I'm sixteen and nobody believes me. :(

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

maia's my name and i'm a mom of 7, which explains my online moniker... i'm a philosopher/writer and i mentor aspiring writers of all breeds, in all parts of the world, by email... for free... in my 'old' life that i dropped out of back in '95, i was a writing consultant with private clients who paid me up to $150/hr for what i now do for nothing... i also wrote plays, a musical comedy, song lyrics, novels, short stories, non-fiction books/articles/columns and poetry, etc. of my own...

i started and run a free books and donation center in my home here on tinian, for the very in-need islanders who only make $3.50/hr when they can get work, which most can't...

so, if anyone here has any books that can be spared and the wherewithal for postage, donations would be greatly appreciated... what's needed most are children's picture books and language/grammar reference books, along with how-tos on anything useful, as the only college in the whole commonwealth just shut down and the people have to learn on their own, with the books i can supply, since there isn't a single book store on tinian and only 1 pb shop on our 'big' next door island, saipan...

i'm 69, will be 70 in a few weeks, have going on 19 grandkids and a huge 'extended family' here, since i've been 'adopted' by the locals...

16. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Mack is the name I inevitably end up going by, as it's part of my real name. I grew up in suburbia around Harleys and Hells Angels - though you wouldn't know that I have grown up cosidering I own more toys and video games than most kids I know... (And yes, I am one of those collectors that likes to keep toys in their packages - except for a select few, like the Jackie Chan doll that I can't resist posing and most of the Dragonball Z toys that I have... :redface:)

I also am a collector of Asian cinema, including anime, though my passion is for Hong Kong action - particularly the 'new wave' era of the early 90's. Other cinema faves include everything Hal Hartley has ever done and Amelie (the most charming film ever!)

I've been writing for as long as I can remember, and even once sent off a hand-written story about a girl and her horse (what else :rolleyes:) when I was nine to the first publishing company that I found in the yellow pages. They sent me back a very polite letter informing that they didn't print books any longer. I'm not going to tell you how long I walked around wondering 'longer than what?' because that would just be embarassing. :p

Earlier this year I went back to school to study for a degree in electronic engineering, though circumstances have currently put that plan on hiatus... I'm a terrible insomniac and I have an addiction to smilies - it kinda works out well because what else can I do late at night but prowl the web for weird smilies... My favourites so far are the ninja smilies and a bunch of Invader Zim ones that I found last night. :D

17. the norse atlantic saga

the norse atlantic saga New Member

I'm 18, and I live in Canada.
    I play guitar and sing in a garage blues/punk band. It's most similar to Iggy and the Stooges/MC5, for those of you into that stuff. We've been going since December and are releasing one full length, after having played with several awesome Canadian rockabilly/garage acts.
    I also sing and play harmonica and guitar in a folk band. I listen to old blues (30s, 40s), garage punk, rock'n'roll, folk, bluegrass, etc. Anything bluesy...yes.

I'm moving away in September to study engineering and theoretical physics and all my bands are gonna end. It's sad on one level, and thrilling on another.

That's kind of what I do... who I am can be summed up here: I like spending time in grimey old bars where local bands play, even though I don't drink.
    I think in terms of math and I love all of it. I love learning and calculating and predicting and concluding. Science is a huge joy for me, and I think my only real GIFT in life is that I am a creative person, and I'm happiest when I'm creating. If one thing defines me I think it is that most human quality of curiosity.

PS Gone Wishing, Henry Rollins rules.

18. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I couldn't agree more. :D

19. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria New Member

Well, I’m Johanna from Finland. :-D I’m 31 years old, but I feel ageless because my heart is very light. I believe life is too short for worrying so I mainly think overly positive thoughts about others, myself, and life in general. I carry my friends, I read the news, I take care of others, and that’s enough sadness for me. I see no point in suffering if there’s no real reason for it.

I’m married and love my husband more than anything else in this lovely world. He’s the strongest, kindest person I know, and he always makes me see things I would ignore otherwise. I have a very short attention span so I would never truly stop if he wasn’t there.

We live in the countryside but close to the city. We have a house (with six rooms) that needs a lot of repairing. I’m worried about the roof at the moment, but hopefully it will hold long enough for us to fix it. We also have a dog but no children. It’s possible that one day we’ll have one child…

I have a busy life as a worker/student/wife/friend. I want to be a teacher one day, and my dream is to teach creativity to adults. I want people to see through the limits they have set for themselves. I want to make others happy. And that’s one of the reasons why I want to tell stories, as well. I want to make people laugh through their tears.

(We went to see Henry Rollins last year when he came to Finland. He was just amazing (Spoken word-tour).)

20. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

My name's Josh. I'm 21 years old. I'm a Christian, although, my fellow believers tend to think I'm a heretic. I'm married with a child on the way, due date is Thanksgiving (Nov. 27th). I play guitar. I smoke a tobacco pipe. I've written for quite sometime, not really sure how long to be honest. I enjoy video games, but I'm not very good at them. I love movies. I'm not much of an optimist, I try, but I let my realistic side get in the way. I like heavy metal and hard rock music. I live in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. Hmmm...that's all I've got right now.

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm Michael, i'm 18, I'm a student, and bit part blues Guitar player.

I come from Northern England, from a small place called Ellington (Notable for having one of the last working Coal mine in the country), near another slightly bigger place called Ashington (Notable for being mentioned on an episode of Eastenders as being the worst, most hostile place in the English Isles.)

I got into writers when I was young, having read The Hobbit, a number of Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft tales when I was still a child, and having met a small time writer once in middle school. Everything about this man appealed to me, the way he dressed, the way he spoke, his attitude toward others, everything, and that made me start to want to write myself. I found people I shown my writing too (friends mostly) liked it, and encouraged me to keep at it, and I found the art of writing and telling stories very entertaining. As I got older, I got into others, Tom Clancy and Ian Irvine (A seldom heard of Australian fantasy writer) and Thomas Pynchon.

I have a wonderful girl friend who I met in college last year, and we have been together ever since. We are now in a stable and committed relationship.

I started playing the Guitar when I was 14, I like to listen to Tool, Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, BB King, SRV, REM, Bedouin Soundclash and Snow Patrol. I often am a bit part player for local bands, (I.e. the idiot at the back strumming out a rhythm no one actually one hears) and have played a few out of the way gigs around Newcastle and Ashington and am a loud and proud Blues player.

22. Firefly

Firefly Member

My name is Anneliese. I just turned 17 in May. I'm a homeschooled Christian girl, moving onto college soon.

My dad was in the U.S. Army for 20 years, until I was 16. It's really cool being an Army kid.

I love animals, which would become apparent if you entered my house. I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Scout. I saved up and planned for him for years, and finally, now that we're done moving, I could finally get him. I also have three hamsters (Shasta, the mother, and her two daughters, Argentina and Totoro), one guinea pig named Benjamin, whose brother died a few weeks ago :)(), and an aquarium full of fish. There are also two cats, Mimi and Buddy, who are family pets. They're sisters. They were born in our house seven years ago.

I enjoy playing video games, playing board games, watching movies and TV, listening to music, playing airsoft, writing, and taking care of my beloved pets.

Something I say almost daily is "I want sushi." I love sushi. I love almost all seafood, really. But sushi is definitely the best. It's funny, because I'm a picky eater and usually picky eaters hate sushi. All the teens in my house love fish.

I love the desert. I lived in the Chihuahuan Desert for a while and then the Sonoran Desert for a while. Currently, I live in Nebraska, but I plan to move back to Arizona when I grow up. I would love to travel to Russia, Germany, Finland, Sweden and Thailand someday, but that might be a little bit expensive.

I tell everybody that I'm going to live on a ranch in Arizona with my brother and our two friends, have a menagerie of animals, drive a Humvee and have a band. Of course, I'm mostly joking when I say this, even though I would love to have all these things. I'm known for my wishful and fanciful thinking. But I did tell everybody that I'd have a tricolor Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Scout by the time I'm 16, and, well, that dream came true! :D

I'm very passionate about my beliefs. I will gladly defend my Christian faith, even if I end up looking like a freak. As the famous dc Talk lyrics go, "I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak. There ain't no disguising the truth." So true. I say that I'm a freak and proud of it. :cool:

23. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

As I read the self descriptions in this thread, you all made me smile. I enjoyed the innocence of youth, the spirit of hope and the angst of life's minor issues and the accomplishments of some. Then, I began to write my own story. It wasn't pretty. My youth was stolen by things over which I had no control. I tried several times to cover the essence of my life, but it got too personal and I hit the delete button. I think it's best if it stays that way. Suffice it to say, I am a man of many passions. Famly, music, writing, fishing, to name a few.

.....NaCl

24. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

Hey Everyone

Andrew, I'm just going to quote you since it seems the format worked for you

So anyway my name is Greg. I am 13 years old. I live with my parents and younger brother in a modest house, and i love a girl i can't have. I have been a member for a week now, but just started posting here in the last couple of days. I am not a very well established writer, otherwise I'd be famous :p . I am a thinker though, my main problem is that i have a hard time putting my thoughts on paper. I have a short attention span, and i probably won't be found reading or reviewing anything too long unless someone really wants me to, and if i do it of my own free will i probably will skip a few sentences or paragraphs.

I enjoy television and movies more than i do books. I play a lot of video games, mostly FPS's. My taste in media includes comedy, drama, and science fiction I'm in love with the television show Moonlight but it got canceled :(. I enjoy rock music and even more rock music, my name Bat Country comes from the song Bat Country by the heavy metal group Avenged Sevenfold, but I prefer alternative to heavy metal. Most of the time i am very serious and very passionate(sometimes getting into useless arguments with people about what i have on my mind, and the other half of the time i am just goofy and very, very, very carefree, I am also the manager/founder/comedian of a youtube comedy group (only we're not very known lol). I enjoy using my computer in my free time, i try to keep up on all the latest technology. I like going for walks and of course i like writing and reading. The End.

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

english is the official language here, but we also have a lot of philippino and chinese contract workers, so anything in tagalog, or chinese would be welcome, though i doubt that's what you had in mind... ;-)... if you, anyone you know, or any groups in your area could put a donation shipment together, that would be awesome... i'm in dire need of picture books, for the littlest ones, so we can get them used to reading books from day one, so to speak... and they're hungry for 'em, so go away with such sad, long faces, when they see my shelves are empty of all but a few skinny little paper-cover things...

thanks, salty!... i'll print that out for myself on sept 14... love and extra hugs, m