1. Cromulent

Cromulent New Member

Style guide when writing for publication (in the UK)?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Cromulent, Sep 25, 2016.

I was reading the ClearSpace website on self-publishing your book with them and they mention that The Chicago Manual of Style 16th Edition is the preferred style guide for the publishing industry but I assume that is designed for authors from the USA. What is the preferred style guides for authors from the UK? I would assume it would be one from the Oxford English Dictionary which is the bible for British English authors?

I want to make sure I use the right style guide when I am writing my story so it saves money when it comes to the editing process.

Any help is appreciated :).

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It's my understanding that the Oxford Manual of Style is the standard reference for fiction in the UK. I don't have personal experience, but... I'm pretty sure.

3. Cromulent

Cromulent New Member

Awesome. Thanks. I'll try and pick up a copy and make sure that I follow its guidelines. It has been so long since I did my creative writing course that I've forgotten most of what I learned.