Society's reaction to this event.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Lorddread, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

The Chinese have an omphaloskepsis program? And I see you're reporting it as both Chinas as well!

An arms race!

The West will need to get their fingers out to catch up.

2. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

So, ways superheoro fiction could react?

3. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

4. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

This sound interesting? The epilogue could be when the kid's have grown, and basically created a benevolent dictatorship.

5. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

6. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Anyway you like! You are the writer.

7. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Sure, why not? Then you could have a sequel where one of them gets drunk on power and goes rogue, the others declaring war on him.

8. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

So, possible "rules" for the powers?

9. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Again look at history. i mean this whole thing with Kim jong il has all the talking heads wondering what is going to happen. On;y you know what your story is about. Your interpretation of the way all these places work in your scenario is more valid than anyone else's. If you rely on a simple set of rules, your story will be two dimensional, at best. It is the way you observe the world that will make your book interesting.

10. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

So, possible parental reactions?

11. DeAnnaClaudette

DeAnnaClaudette New Member

The first thing I think about when it comes to parents is - would any of the women try to end the pregnancy? I am sure that it would be quite a phenom when suddenly, 2-3 months later all of the adult women (i assume that it is only adult, some females can get pregnant at 10, so not sure how you plan to deal with that) are showing up pregnant. Many of the women would not have known when the child could have been conceived, the men in their lives may think they were cheating if the "math didn't add up" and some women may even opt for terminating the pregnancy. But, that's all prior to that whole "coming into their powers" thing at the age of 8. I just wanted to add my thoughts on that part of the scenario.

I imagine that the parents would react to their children flying in shock and disbelief. Fear. Confusion. The thing is that people generally react to things differently. Some may decide that their children are possessed and need to be kept caged. (Maybe parents of those like minds would come together to capture all children who can fly - even if they aren't their own.) Other parents may think that it is cool that Jr can fly and want to show him off or use him in some other way. Others may try to figure out how to "disable" them from flying so that they can better control them. Some kids will be good kids that parents won't have to worry about. Others will be rebellious and act out. That will also change how the parents would react to them.

12. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Keep in mind flying isn't their only ability. And possible nicknames the media could give the kid's?

13. DeAnnaClaudette

Well, their nicknames would depend on what else they could do besides fly.

14. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

They all have different powers.

15. DeAnnaClaudette

I think that those extra abilities would influence the nickname. If someone can throw bolts of flame, they would be a firestarter (just an example, not a suggestion). Or a more mainstream, popular example. Spiderman. Without the ability to spider-like things, he wouldn't be spiderman at all.

16. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Nicknames for the group as a whole?

17. DeAnnaClaudette

OK, I thought you meant individual nicknames.

Is there a common theme between the kids other than flying? They were all, essentially immaculately conceived. I don't know if you can use a play on that. Something about Divinity, or something... divine. Another idea is to use the date they were all conceived. If they were conceived on August 25, or 25/August (not sure of the date format in Australia) they could be the 825/258 Kids/Children or just an 825/258. Since they are all siblings, they could be called "The Siblings" or "the (Australian town's name) Siblings".

Well, that's the best I can come up with at 4 in the morning, so if nothing else, I hope that gave you some ideas. lol.

18. Manav

Manav New Member

I think the reaction from around the world will come in three stages.

Firstly, since this is happening in Australia, which is one of the advance countries, it will be pick up in the media pretty soon. There will be curiousity and lots of talk about it, and of course many people will come forward claiming to have seen UFOs over Australia on that night. So, everybody who is interested in UFOs and aliens and unnatural phenomenon would surely be interested in what happen to the pregnant women. Most likely Australian Government will set up some kind of a scientific commitee to look into it and ask for help from foriegn organisations who have experience in such research. If the pregnancy is of nine months, nothing new will come up until the chidren are born, so the news coverage will die down.

Secondly, when the children are born and found out that they are half siblings there will again be interest in the media and there will be lots of hype about some alien theory. many countries will sit up and take notice but don't think there will be nothing more than scientific curiosity.

Thirdly, after eight years when the children gain superpowers, some countries may try to gain control of Australia to gain access to those children.

But of course, this might happen only if the Australian government make the initial event public. Since the event happened in a small town, it won't be difficult for the Australian Government to keep it a secret, I mean even today we find it difficult to get any accurate news from North Korea in this information age.

19. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

They usaully have some psychic ability and a bit of physical enhancement as well.

20. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

If I had mysteriously fallen asleep and woke up 42 hours later, the first thing I would do is take Plan B. If I still somehow got pregnant, I would get it taken out. If the kid was so miraculous that it somehow couldn't be taken out, then I would not be a very happy mommy. I would feel like my life was taken away from me and I would have some pretty negative feelings toward my kid. Things like that should also play into this idea. Some to-be parents will feel cursed, others blessed, and the virgins would probably be pretty confused. Plus what happens when they all give birth? No hospital is suited to deliver an entire city full of pregnant women around the same time. Questions and curiosity would certainly pop up way before the kids ever found out they had super powers.

21. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Something tells me the foster system is gonna be strained.