1. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

Solicitation thread

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Addicted2aa, Mar 29, 2009.

I've been noticing there are a couple of members that have been linking to their personal blogs and websites. I imagine this isn't a new thing. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have one thread or one area that was dedicated to people posting links to websites and blogs that aren't directly related to the conversation the are participating. People would not be able to post solicitation to their work in any other thread.
    For example if I'm replying in a thread about how to deal with semi-colons and I put a link up to a website that details the proper and improper use of semi-colons that would be ok in that thread. If I instead posted a link to my personal blog and said that my writing contained proper use of semi-colons, that would not be ok and would instead belong in the solicitation thread.
    Just a thought. Thanks for this site and your job keeping it awesome. Particularly fast moderating on topics that could get bad and posters who don't review.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's generally ok to have a link to your own site in your sig info... putting it in the post text is another matter altogether and that is and has been dealt with individually by the mods...

they do a very good job of policing the site and removing any improper site-touting stuff, so i don't see that what you're proposing would be needed, or make things any better...

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Links to one's own personal site or blog is generally acceptable if it is not commercial in nature, Links to sites relevant to a thread topic are also usually accepted, with the same restriction.

However, posting for the sole purpose of promoting a site will not be accepted, and may result in a ban.

Also, as discussed in a sticky thread in the Lounge, posting just to say "look at this cool link" (such as most youtube link posts) will probably be deleted.

To the original question, if it looks like spam, it will be deleted, and if the account is used only for such posts, it is very likely to be banned.

4. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

Sorry. I guess I missed that when I read the rules. Didn't know you already had it covered. Well continue the good work then.