1. unicorn_rider

unicorn_rider New Member

Some things I need help on

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by unicorn_rider, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Writing Block- My main issue. I have great ideas I want to write down, but whenever I do it I don't have passion. I feel like I'm not good enough to write it and every time I contradict myself whether I'm telling the story right or not.

2. Multiple Plots- I have multiple plots, both reaching different audiences (yet connected). One of these plots starts out as a strong humored love story then will die down to a sub-plot. The other plot starts out as sub-plot (school) and emerges to a larger plot which leads to an epic adventure. I guess what I'm asking is how to effectively manage these two plots and keep the audience engaged throughout.

3. Description- when to describe and not to describe? Should I describe the basic everyday things or just the unusual ones? How about rooms and places, especially if they are reminiscent of places we see everyday?

4. Characters- I have 5 characters, but only as the true two main characters. Still, the minor characters play a role and I often find myself shifting to their perspective every now and then. It's also nearly a three-way love fest between three girls and one guy. How can I manage this complexity? It eventually becomes a two-way love fest instead of three.

Thanks for any and all help. I appreciate it. If I remember more, I'll post it here.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Each of these questions has come up many times before. There is a stickied thread for Writers block alone.

None of these has one simple answer, or even exactly the same answer for two different writers. But a little browsing of the various threads under Writing Issues, and with a little help from the search function, should yield you quite a few perspectives on each question.

3. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

See if you find my blog entry here on WritingForums useful: Compressed descriptions

1 person likes this.
  4. cretinhop

cretinhop Member

You just have to buckle down and write through it, I think. Coming from a lady, of course, who couldn't put a word on a page to save her life for the past month... But, whatever you write, at least that will give you some kind of grasp, and something to come back to later. Once you achieve this, your other problems will sort of dissipate because writing takes on a life of its own. Your plots will weave one over the other on its own-- or, it should, or, at least, you will gain a shadow of clarity that you can work on.

This is pretty annoying. Everyone must struggle with this sometimes, but remember: in your first draft, you can write whatever you want, and include as many details as you want. This is especially useful if you've never finished a piece before-- you can just cut whatever doesn't work out later. But, for some direction, the setting: what a class room looks like, what the school appears like, the interior of a bedroom. Keep in mind this will all aid to the mood of your story. You don't always need to be completely exact on description, though some writers like to do that. A slim character with blue eyes and light hair is good enough-- you can always add more to his looks later, too. Especially if you're Stephen King.

I'm not sure I understand your love-fest? Do you mean like a triangle? It depends on how you tell the story-- I guess you can manage them however you want, but if they're exceptionally minor to your MCs' majority, then don't worry about their perspectives so much. Although they do play a role, you can convey through the perception and perspective of your MCs that sort of thing. Or you can just write all of them, with the other three playing lesser roles throughout the story. I guess either works.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

One thing I'll point out (because, on the larger issues, Cogito said it all as he often does) is that your description is very confusing. I may be a tad old fashioned, but here is how I would define terms like "two way" and "three way" relationships:

One Way - he loves her, but she doesn't love him. Unrequited love cannot endure (which is not to say that some unrequited lovers don't go to extreme lengths to try).

Two Way - he loves her, she loves him (or he and he or she and she). The ideal committed relationship.

Three Way - A loves B, B loves A, A loves C, C loves A, B loves C, C loves B. A true love triangle (traditionally, A loving both B and C was referred to as a "love triangle", but that was not to say that it was three-way).

Your description of three girls and one guy suggests to me three separate two way relationships, rather than a single complex one. My point is that you want to make sure you are clear in your descriptions so that when you write, people will understand.

6. JeffS65

JeffS65 Contributing Member

In my estimation, writing (and creative) issues happen when people try too hard. It happens to me when I'm trying to create something that is not true to me. It's also why, when I've tried writing in years past, that the result was garbage. It is also why, with my current writing, that I like more what I have been creating. I am not trying to force something because I think it is cool or something.

So, my point is; write a story about a character, about a person. Write a story that involves the human struggle. Once you have that down in your story, context, ideas and all of that much more easily fall in to place. Whether it's the ideas or the arc of a character, trying to fit them in to a pre-conceived environment will always be a tough fit. If you know your character(s), then the rest falls in to place.

7. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Well if you need help on the description part, look it up on google. (Not being sarcastic, but there's quite a few good tips.) When it comes to Characters, keeping focus is another story. But 5 Characters might not be enough to drive multiple plots... but that's just me. If you want only 5 Characters, that's fine. It's your story ;)