1. l33matthews

l33matthews New Member

some tips

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by l33matthews, Jul 29, 2012.

hey everyone iv recently started writing but in need of some help.

has any one got any tips on how to be a ok/good writer any advise would be awsome.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you tried reading existing threads? Your question is pretty vague, and pretty much summarizes the purpose of the site.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Reading your post, I would say that grammar should be your first priority.

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Contributing Member

Learn the language, use it efficiently, feed success, starve defeat, and avoid BS.

5. abby75

abby75 Member

Don't write in text speak.....lol! Seriously though, use your spell and grammar checker, nothing you write will ever be taken seriously if there are spelling mistakes.

6. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

Always write seriously, whether online, or in text message. Never revert to casual language.. Study grammar, and read... read read read read read... Find someone who may be willing to look at your work regularly. You can google all this..

Truth is, there is no one all be all tip that is going to make you a good writer.. Discipline, practice, passion, and becoming okay with failure, knowing you'll eventually succeed, is pretty much all we have as writers.

7. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

On these forums, yeah. But they are free to write casually in text messages or wherever else it's accepted. I write sometimes write 'text' language and I find it doesn't effect my writing so...yeah. Just make sure it doesn't leak into your writing :D

8. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

YES. I cannot echo this enough. Spelling is especially important, and there is no excuse for getting it wrong. Most websites, even this one, give you an indication when you have misspelled a word, so to ignore that warning is just lazy. It's like I've told my son -- you have to spell things correctly. English is a particularly hard language because we have so many words taken from other languages, and the spelling rules are inconsistent. There have been studies about spelling, showing there is absolutely no correlation between someone's intelligence and ability to spell. DESPITE this, if you cannot spell, people will think you are stupid. It's unfair, and even being cognizant of this lack of correlation, I am guilty of it myself, even though I am not a particularly good speller. You don't want to give readers a reason to distrust you as the writer.

Of course, this doesn't help when you've misspelled a word and typed a different word that the spell check doesn't catch. I cringe every time I see someone write something like "You don't want to loose your keys, or you won't be able to get home." I can't get past "loose your keys?" That makes no sense! For that type of scenario, there's just no solution other than diligence and good proofreading. When I see it once, I give the benefit of the doubt and figure it's a type-o. When I see it repeatedly, I think, "This author doesn't know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose." And then I'm thinking about that instead of the story they've written.

9. GoldenGhost

I didn't say he had to heed my advice, nor did I say he couldn't write how he wanted. He asked for tips.. so he got one.. and I say the same to you.. I would not encourage the use of any style the reinforces bad habits.. Why put yourself in a position of having to apply even more awareness to something that takes little effort to remove completely?

10. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes, it's easier to write in text in actual text messages than type full words. Hence why we do it. Kind of like 'lol'. It's knowing when is the right time to be writing like that. It could be compared to the way teenagers use slang. We do it with our friends but I'm sure that not once has slang slipped into any of my essays or novels. Unless it's dialogue of course.

Anyway, my tips are:
    - Read, read, read, read!
    - Come on this forum regularly. (They help a lot!)
    - Review other people's writing
    - Write, write, write write!
    - Have passion for it!

11. JackLUFC

JackLUFC Member

I'd concentrate on grammar first, as it's hard to take a work seriously when it's littered with grammatical mistakes. Reading plenty will help in this respect.

12. introspect

introspect Member

hello

Just practise putting sentences together and grpow with your writing. Just don't beat yourself down over trivial things as this. It will come in good time :)

P.S... its not all about grammar? the main part is content more than any think else.

13. Thumpalumpacus

If the main character in a first-person novel is a bumpkin, Ivy League elocution is almost certainly inapt. There are times when casual language is not only acceptable, but necessary, for writing well.

14. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Do not limit your reading habits -
    Read - literature for symbolism , deeper meanings
    Read 'beach' books or popular fiction - for quick pacing and entertainment value.
    Read non-fiction books about your favorite subject ( treasure hunting? biology? archeology? sports? movies?) - they'll help your characters
    develop interests which will in turn help out with plots.
    Read poetry - they'll help your prose develope rhythm.
    Read articles , news - they'll help you stay currant and spark ideas.
    Read literature studies - they'll expose the mystery of a novel by deconstructing it

Keep a notebook on you at all times - jot down observations , conversation snippets , ideas that come into your
    mind.

A good writer , to me is a constant reader , a constant observer whose always searching for a
    new way to jumble the same old words.

15. GoldenGhost

True.. and when I first wrote that statement, I had originally added as an after thought: "Unless your character calls for it..", but I deleted it. I was referring to the practice in a general sense. If your writing descriptive prompts, or practicing action, at least, starting out, I'd say try and curtail the use of language, until you have the grasp of the rules and when and why they should/can be broken.

16. Exzalia

Exzalia Contributing Member Contributor

find something you like to write about. Find a passion! If you do then you'll enjoy practice more. it won't seem like a chore

17. Thumpalumpacus

Also, my signature -- it's something that a writer friend of mine told me in explaining why he likes Jack London -- "Because he tells me about the goddamned dog, man."

I take that to be advice to focus on the essentials.

18. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

What genre?

You can also find writing groups online that specialize in whatever genre you working on along with using this website, both should help you accomplish your goals.

19. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Staff Contributor

Write like you are trying to show the world the interior of your mind.

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Smashing my skull repeatedly against the writing on my desk until it splatters is not my idea of fun.