1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

What do you think of guys reading chick lit books?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Link the Writer, Jun 14, 2014.

OK, I have a confession to make: Recently I've come to like reading a mystery series, only this mystery series isn't exactly what you'd call a 'guy book'. Outside mystery elements, the theme is of a female protagonist, her friends, and womanhood in general. It's a chick lit/mystery book series.

So women, do you really care if a guy reads chick lit books? I do read non-chick lit books as well, so it's not like this is the only thing I'm reading. I just happened to find a mystery series I really liked that so happened to also be a chick lit book.

Thoughts, ladies (and gentlemen who are brave enough to admit whether or not they read chick lit books?)

Graphics solution likes this.
  2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It shouldn't matter what others think. If you enjoy it, read it.

Link the Writer likes this.
  3. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I couldn't care less. It actually really bugs me that 'chick lit' exists, while nobody would bat an eyelid if I, as a woman, read an Andy McNab or whatever. Read what you want, and if you fancy watching Sex and the City watch that too, it's funny (give the films a miss though!).

Link the Writer and shadowwalker like this.
  4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Nope, that's cool. I order books targeted at women to my husband and he orders books targeted at men to me (like Andy McNab). I can't read most of the stuff he reads because estreogen-heavy material just doesn't interest me, but he's fascinated by that stuff 'cause it's outside his experience. Kinda like I'm fascinated by testosterone-oozing dudes doing actiony things 'cause it's kinda hard for me to become a hardass spy for the Firm irl, or some such.

Plus, I think your girlfriend or possible future girlfriend in case you're single will think that's just awesome. :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I don't read chick lit, but I'd probably like chock lit because I could eat it afterwards. :)

KaTrian likes this.
  6. Link the Writer

@ thirdwind- That's always been my belief. So long as they're not hurting you or others, enjoy them and to hell with what anyone else says.

@ KaTrian- I think he and I might share a similar hobby. ;) I want to read anything I can get my hands on, so long as they're good books.

@ prettyprettyprettygood- I've heard of the film, but I stayed as far away from it as one would a viper. Movies have to really impress me to convince me to sit for two hours in the dark to watch them.

@ minstrel- I've no idea what chock lit is. :D

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Chocolate.

minstrel likes this.
  8. Link the Writer

I really should not be surfing the forums when I'm brain-dead tired; my stupid side takes the reins. :crazy:

Off to bed I go!

minstrel likes this.
  9. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

[​IMG]

10. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

That is one of the best uses of an image macro that I have seen in a while.

I love My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and I read fan fiction obsessively. My favorite TV series, Game of Thrones, The Wire, and Breaking Bad, are testosterone-fueled dramas with violence, language, and ballsy decisions made by characters. Everything is a potential medium for a good story that is worth the time a man spends reading (or watching, or hearing, or playing) it.