1. Kirby Tails

Kirby Tails New Member

Some Unique Verbs to Use?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Kirby Tails, Oct 5, 2008.

Hmmm...wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the grammar forum. Though this isn't technically about grammar, so oh well.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get a couple of suggestions for some really awesome, descriptive verbs to use? If that makes sense. (And if it's nothing obvious or comon, a general definition?)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There's no way to answer that in a general sense. It all depends on the verb you are trying to upgrade, and the context. You need to find a verb that best conveys the SPECIFIC action taking place.

3. Kirby Tails

Kirby Tails New Member

I'm not particuarly looking to upgrade necessarily. I just feel like I use the same words all the time. Okay, I know I contradicted myself there, I'm just knid of looking for something...new. Thought maybe I could get a bit of feedback.

4. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

Acquiesce: to accept, comply, or submit tacitly or passively

5. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

If you gave us a noun & an adjective, it would be something for us to work with.

Side note- I'm proofreading a friend's story, and one problem he has is he uses what my lit teacher called "dead verbs"--such as "said," "was," "went," etc.

In comparison, on the 1st page of a book I have called The Lace Reader, here are the interesting verbs she uses besides the necessary dead ones:

admits
    referred
    deemed
    parlayed
    sniffing

6. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

One of the neatest things about the English language, I think, is that many nouns can eventually become verbs.

Forked, knifed, spooned (not, for some strange reason, more commonly used in relation to the cutlery), yellowed (as with age), greened (as in, a plant as it matures, becomes more green), snaked, foxed (or out-foxed, anyway)... penned instead of wrote, penciled instead of sketched or drew, it goes on.

It's a living language, so with respect to grammar... many of its rules can be artistically defenestrated :D

7. architectus

architectus Banned

I am slowly building up my verb vocabulary for this very reason. Because how many times can you say spotted right? She spotted a man walking, etc.

Spotted, gazed, gawked, saw, looked, stared, etc.

Walked, ran, darted, sprinted, flashed, and so on.

Sometimes a thesaurous helps, but often if you look up walk, you do not get all the other cool verbs. We should start a thread on this. Keep adding to the string of words.

I have a list of verbs that I have been reading, trying to burn them into my memory, but I want to list them by action as I have done above. These are in alphabetical order right now. Here is A.

abandon
    abduct
    abolish
    abscond
    abuse
    accelerate
    accuse
    achieve
    acquire
    act
    adapt
    add
    address
    adjust
    administer
    advance
    advise
    aim
    allocate
    analyze
    answer
    anticipate
    apprehend
    approach
    appropriate
    arbitrate
    arrange
    arrest
    ascertain
    assault
    assemble
    assess
    attack
    attain
    audit
    avert

On this page you will find a list of verbs in doc and pdf format. Click here

It is a site about film making. On the left there is also a character trait file, last names file, and male first names file.

Building verbs, maybe you guys could help out with that thread?

8. architectus

architectus Banned

Check out my new thread, list of good action verbs, you might find it useful.

9. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

Caterwaul - 1. To cry or screech like a cat in heat. 2. To make a shrill, discordant sound. 3. To have a noisy argument.