1. TheBlack-Moon

TheBlack-Moon New Member

Help...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by TheBlack-Moon, Apr 10, 2008.

Ok, so I am new and I'd rather not post something in the wrong place or have people yell at me for doing something completely wrong.

I have something I want to post, part of a story I'm writing that I want some people to give opinions on. Just to see how it goes about and whatnot. Where would I post this?

Any feedback would help! ~Thank you

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

If its a story to be reviewed it goes into one of the review rooms. The Short Stories revieroom is borken into sub-forums by genre. Find the correct genre for the piece and put her up there. There are also specific forums for Novels, Fan Fiction, and Non-Fiction.

You can always check out the FAQS page for more information.

In case you are unaware there is also a set up in the forum that requires you to review two pieces of other members work to post stories of your own. That would include reading a piece and offering your opinions before you can have your own pieces reviewed.

3. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

It's also good to go out and introduce yourself first :) Cog usually has a lot of wise things to say :D The FAQ is good.

4. TheBlack-Moon

TheBlack-Moon New Member

Ok, thank you.
    I am writing a novel but the piece I am posting is sort of large paragraph. I don't know what to call it, it's before the acual first chapter but it's not a prologue persay.
    Now that I think of it, if you have ever watched "V for Vendetta" it's kinda like that beginning part where the lady is speaking, starting out with "Remember remember the fifth of..." and so on. It has to do with the story but it's short and a side? thing... I'm horrible at explaining things

So, saying this, and with doing a couple reviews would I still place it in with the "novel" section of the review area? Or would this just go into somthing like "General writing"

5. Oasis Writer

Novel area, unless it's a short story, then you would post it in the appropriate subforum in Short Stories:

Humor, Children Stories, Crime and Thriller, General Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Romance, Science Fiction

If it happens to be one of those, but I recommend you also post up an introduction as well in this forum here:

New Member Introductions

:) Let's us get to know you better

The faq that lordofhats gave you is also a very good source if you have any generic questions. Otherwise, maybe PM myself, or any staff members and someone will direct you in the right way, or here, lol.

6. TheBlack-Moon

TheBlack-Moon New Member

Naw, not a short story. I'm planning on making it a novel. I have that paragraph and the start of a first chapter..

Another quick question, what exactly goes in the "general writing section"? I know it gives you like a sentance saying what goes in there, but I'm just curious if I could get a better description of what goes into that forum.

Thanks for the help! I've posted in the new members place if you wanna check it out X.x''

7. Oasis Writer

General Writing is a brainstorming section where you can get help with maybe the whole picture of the novel. It's not really for posting your work in. It's more of a resource to get help with it. Better for the technique of writing, then it is for just writing on one novel (like if you're looking for a review or critique). Now, if you're stuck, then you can post it in Plot, or in the GW Forum and probably get help, to my understanding, but I would say the General Writing Forum is more for brainstorming.

8. TheBlack-Moon

TheBlack-Moon New Member

Ok thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

You've been a great help.. I appreciate it.

9. Oasis Writer

Anytime :) If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

10. TheBlack-Moon

TheBlack-Moon New Member

will do, I'll just add you to my contacts cause I know if I don't... I'll completely forget.... kinda sad.. but it happens.

Horrible memory is no supposed to come this early....

11. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I hope you're feeling a little less confused about where to post your work, but i'd say the advice you've been given so far is spot on.

To post a piece for review then you choose the appropriate area e.g. non-fiction, novel, short story and then if there are subforums you choose the appropriate subforum (such as a short story genre) rather than posting in the top-level as this should be avoided. The general writing area is more about brainstorming, technique and any other writing related issues that don't fit into another section of the site such as dealing with writer's block.

Don't forget to ask if you have any more questions.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Non-fiction forum is different in that regard - general nonfiction is posted in the top level forum, and Essays is a subforum for more formal work. Admittedly, it makes things a bit confusing.