1. S S

S S Active Member

Something You've Read That's 'So Bad It's Good'?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by S S, Sep 26, 2014.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post ironic threads, but I just find some bad writing quite entertaining, like an Austin Powers film almost.

Here's something I read to start us off…

'SKRRK! SKRRK SKRRK! Somehwere in the distance Trent could hear it. SKRRK! SKRRK! SKRRK! Trent could well remember that noise from the time he was in the army. "I can well remember that noise from the time I was in the army" Trent thought. No time for thinking, he thought. And carried on running. The SKRRK!ing seemed to be getting closer though and Trent knew he must stop and fight or be killed. "Gasp!" Trent gasped. "Corporal Jones?" "Hahaha, yes Trent, I knew you would come here and I knew you knew what the SKRRK!ing was and that you must stop. That's why I did it and why I came here in the first place." Trent wasn't sure whether he should hug him or punch him! Hug him because of the SKRRK!ing wasn't real and he knew he was safe after all, or punch him because he didn't actually like him! He shook the Corporal Jones on the hand. "Hahaha" said Corporal Jones. "Same old Trent!"

[…]

Trent was having a flashback. He suddenly remembered lots of exciting things that had happened to him that really showed who he was. He was glad that there was no way people could of known what he was thinking because it really gave away a lot about him. He shook his head to refocus on what he had to do. "Oh yes, killing all them people" Trent thought. He chuckled to himself "hahaha" because of the flashback. "Gosh that would really explain a lot about me... if people only knew what I was just thinking about..." A man who was passing looked at him and wondered why he had said it. BANG! Trent shot the man dead! He fell on the floor like some shopping that hadn't been doubly bagged but there was heavy shopping in the bag, so the bag ripped. Trent was just like that, but no-one knew why.'

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    aikoaiko and 123456789 like this.
  2. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

Plenty of fanfiction is so bad it is good. It is often difficult to distinguish between parody and genuinely bad fanfiction.

But the gems are completely worth all the time spent sifting through the crap. Which is why I read fanfiction in the first place. Laughing at bad writing is icing on the cake.

The Eye of Argon (which, incidentally, is not fanfiction) is the classic example of this. People make a game of it at fantasy and sci fi conventions. They pass it around in a circle. Each person reads as much of it out loud as possible before breaking down laughing.

3. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributing Member Contributor

Moments like this specifically, but it's all gold.

4. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Contributing Member

Not quite what you meant. But actually Lev Grossman reads a bit like this. I'm reading the Magician King at the moment. It is a great book but it breaks all the rules.

He had in mind something more like mixed martial arts. Ultimate fighting. He wanted to know who the best swordsman in the realm was: the no-buts, fuck-you-all-Fillory champion of sword fighting. So he put the word out: a week from now anyone who thought they could handle a blade should turn up at Castle Whitespire and start whacking till there was no-one left to whack.

Actually even the first excerpt here reads better than my best effort, so I can hardly laugh about it. But I'd love to write like Lev Grossman. This book makes me smile.

5. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

Atlanta Nights. Check it out. It's an absolute train wreck (on purpose). Now one of my favourite books.

6. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Contributing Member

I find this hilarious, actually.:D

7. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributing Member Contributor

"Trend was having a flashback. He suddenly remembered..."

This is very humorous to me.