1. dead_soul

dead_soul Banned

Who else hated Eragon?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by dead_soul, Oct 25, 2007.

Every time I say, "I hate Eragon" people bombard me with disbelief looks. I just couldn't feel his character in the book. I mean, I was half the way in the book and I still don't know how his character functions. But I actually loved the plot and the style, so I came up with an idea....

I picture Harry Potter as the hero, not Eragon. That way, I could keep reading and have fun with the very good writing style of Christopher Paolini.

How about you? Do you hate it??

2. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I don't know about the book

but the movie was absolutely terrible- oh the humanity!

3. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

The book and the movie both make me feel like vomitting.

4. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

http:/ /everything2.com/index.pl

This link sums up my opinion on the books rather nicely.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't care about the book as I very rarely read fantisy.
    But the Movie was bad on every level.

6. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

That book made me cry inside.

As for the movie....I wondered what got into Rachel Weis's head that she would do something so ridiculous.

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

The book was mediocre. I got it as a gift. I bought the second... never got past the second page.

The movie was much much worse.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I didn't particularly like it. It felt like a combination of all the famous fantasy books, shoved in a blender, and then put down in print. All kudos to Mr Paolini for being able to write like that at the age of fifteen, but frankly who wants their work from fifteen being published for the world to see?

Oh, and the movie was atrocious.

9. wordweaver

wordweaver New Member

I have never read the book, but I did see the movie and I must say I'm not a fan. I think the "potential" was there for it to be a good book/movie, but as mentioned above it was too closely related to alot of other stories. Being as young as the author was, I think he may have been too heavily influenced by other reads, and sometimes it is only with practise of the craft that we learn to use our own voice. Given time, I'm sure he will see where he erred.

I found the predictability annoying, and the lack of "character" in all involved made it hard to stick through.

On the other hand, I think people that aren't well read in the genre of fantasy and don't know any better, may like it more than those who are. Point in case, my husband liked the movie, and a few others I've come across.

I suppose it would kind of be like when we first read LOTR, or A Song of Fire and Ice series, and thought, 'WOW!' I guess what I'm trying to say is, that maybe this story, Eragon, has the potential influence of getting younger readers into the genre of fantasy and that is a good thing. :)

But the poor souls don't know what they are missing. ;)

10. lessa

lessa New Member

didn't read the book but the movie was watchable but barely.
    I did like the dragon and she had a nice voice.
    After reading here I am not sure I will read the book.

11. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

I don't know if many of you know this, but Christopher Paolini was only 16 years old when he wrote Eragon, and was 19 years old when it was published.

12. Crimson Threnody

Crimson Threnody New Member

The move...wasn't even a real story it was so bad. But it cannot be allowed to be a direct representation of what the book was, as many people I know have read them and enjoyed them.

I personally haven't read them, and probably never will - but for someone of Chris's age, they were well done.

13. Good_writer

Good_writer Banned

I liked Eragon, but it is so obviously a copy of the Star Wars. But the second book in the series (Eldest), was good and not a copy. If anyone is interested, i have posted an excerpt from the third chapter of the third book, which i have posted in 'Book Discussion'.

14. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

That's a fact generally known to the public, and it's also a fact that that fact doesn't stop the fact that the Inheritance Trilogy is really one of the most unbearable leviathans of the young adult reading market out there today. And that's a fact.

But honestly, eurrrgh.

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I didn't like Eragon.
    It reminded me of Lords of the Rings and Star Wars with dragons. It even reminded me of those better books called Hearts Blood. It looked like they stole a whole bunch of ideas of stuff and called it a book.

16. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

I thought that for someone his age, it was well written, but as an overall book, it was a COMPLETE cliché.

I think I understood after the first of however many pages what Saphira looked like. "YES. She's a DRAGON. I GET IT."

17. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    Lol, I know what you mean. Christopher was great with detail--he just took it a little too far sometimes, describing things that didn't really need to be described.

I loved the book, though it was cliche (I don't mind cliche's, as long as I haven't read too many of the same one) but the movie is garbage. The battle scene at the end was pretty much the only part that held my interest. They cut out way too much of the book. And I did start to read Eldest, but gee, it's off to a slow start, in contrast to the first book. The first one started off with excitement and thrill. The second one started with grief--and then it got boring. Really boring. So I quit, and now I don't quite understand what's going on, when I pick it up and try to read it again.

Oh, and I don't think it should be put under the "young adult" category. I think it's good for ages 11-15, but that's pretty much it.

18. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

I'm going to read the third one, just to see how it turned out, but I'm not sure if I'll like it.

Eldest I actually kind of liked, despite it's slow start. Eragon though, it hurt to read.

19. Odinschild

Odinschild New Member

As said before, its basically a book of Fantasy Story Cliches. I personally hated the first, and second one. I'm not even going to bother with the third one.

It should also be noted that it was originally self-published by himself and his parents.

20. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Well no wonder it was published.
    If I were an editor I would have thrown it in his face and told him it was garbage. At least his parents think its good. Good enough for them at least cause I hated the second book.

I also will not be bothering with the third installment.

21. knoxvicious

knoxvicious New Member

I think you should visit a site called Anti-Shurtugal, my friend...